• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm I wish I can tell what they are looking for and yes we all are qualified but it's really testing of my faith as to what their selection process may be. Josh18 may is not over yet so I encourage you to keep positive and hold on to hope and faith. It's not over yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi future PA's ! I am currently a student at the best PA program in New York that is Sophie Davis PA Program. I read a lot of your comments in this forum and i am remembering how it was for me. Just like you guys i was nervous, scared and most of all anxious. First of all let me address a few issues: I don't know where the number 10 came from but i assure you that 10 people did not fail in my class. I counted 5 people from my class but this does not mean you wont have 35 seats available the class can be more than 35 depending on what they decide. The PA program can accept extra students if you make a very good impression and they have to have you. Ultimately, they have the final choice but if they really want you they will take you. So don't be discouraged. If you got an interview your already half way there. That means they like you and their just waiting for you to sell yourself. As far as the interview goes i will give a few pointers. First of all when you write the essay don't freak out because they are not looking at grammar or structure but more your thought process however, their decision will primarily be based on the interview and to tell you the truth i don't know where they will find the time to read 100 essays. I definitely did not have a competitive essay and was very worried about that when i left the interview but i was among the first group to be accepted if not the first. Also my advice is to be humble and sincere they want to see the real you and they are aware that everybody rehearses answers to possible questions so try to answer genuinely and ask questions!! You may get interviewed by 2,3 or 4 people it depends on who is available. Also, please don't worry people they have not called everybody yet i can assure you that they are really busy because their faculty is limited. I think the actual program faculty is about 6 people and they have over 60 students to attend to including many changes and preparations. In other words applicants chose probably the busiest time ever to apply there is just so much going on and faculty and constantly busy that i my self wonder how do they even make time for applications? So don't worry there still many calls to be made and interviews to be scheduled. My guess is that since my semester ends on the 23rd of may and they will have a week of less stress till the next semester that starts in June (a week after) they will probably schedule many interviews that off week. Lastly, don't worry about stats because it really doesn't matter. You may think this is a bold statement but the truth is that many of my class mates did not have perfect GPA's in fact i know people who got accepted with a low 2 gpa. What matters then? In order to get an interview your chances are greater if you are a Minority, have good references with a good essay in your application that shows your knowledge of the profession. Ultimately it is your interview that will make you or break you. The best way i think one should approach this interview is to not rehearse your answers you should practice more or less what you are gonna say but don't rehearse the answer word by word they are really good at picking that up. Its OK if you have a mistake personally i think that helps you it shows your genuine and nervous, the faculty is human and they really care for their students and they empathize. If you are really nervous tell them that this is the most important day of your life and its hard not be nervous. I will also advice you to have something to show adversity to show the things you overcame (but don't lie!) the faculty has a BIG heart and they empathize with those who need help. In my interview i told them about my family who none of which are high school graduates, that i am a father and have held many jobs and struggled living on my own and now i'm here in the most important 30 min of my life and the being accepted means everything to me and it would give my sisters someone to look up to and maybe end that trend of academic failure in my family. Give them something to FEEL something to remember you and choose you over everybody else but most of all be yourself. Familiarize yourself with possible PA questions they can ask you so that your not taken by surprise. For example, if they ask why choose to be a PA over an MD? you should know more or less what to say. You may want to say that you want to raise a family and being a PA would give you that flexibility unlike being a MD on call or talk about the versatility of the profession and how that intrigues you. Well that's all i got for now GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY! and remember it ain't over till its over! 2 people in my class got accepted 2 days before classes started so never lose HOPE!

Its good to hear from someone in the program.  Especially somoene with kids.  I thought that having a child was going to count against me, and I was ready to defend the fact that having a child wouldn't hinder my progress in the program.  It's getting late in the year and I was counting out a call for an interview but after reading that passage from Hype21 I feel like there is still hope. 

Archived