Go back to the website and read the mission statement I have also met with the current students and the ethnicity is diverse and the word minority have nothing to do with just race but also financially so let's not start a dialogue on this but read their website and mission statement also their goals for the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of us need to peruse SD website a bit more because we seem to be misinformed. But anyway, those of you who are complaining, think about this ....

At the end of 2013 there were 181 PA programs in the US. TWO, yes TWO actively recruit minorities and UNDERSERVED community applicants (regardless of race). The two are SD and Howard University in DC. GW does place some emphasis on this too, but not much.

Go check the other programs and let me know how many minorties you see. I don't hear anyone complaining about acceptance into Medgar Evers College. I guess it is because they dont have a PA program.

Is this the type of thinking we should expect from potential class mates?

The issue is not the race of the applicant, the issue is our (as in everyone's) background. Do you doubt that most underserved communities are minority communities? SD has the highest percentage of minority PA graduates by far, but go check and see the overall ratio of practicing PAs.

And yes, there are white students in the program. 2 out of 181 and ppl are complaining, jeez.

I am minority, I belong to an under-served community, but I just don't like the way this statement sounds:

"The Physician Assistant Program is committed to increasing the number of physician assistants of African-American, Latino, and other ethnic backgrounds, whose communities have historically been under-served." 

Committed to increase????

My take: "The Physician Assistant Program is committed to help minorities and under-served communities in achieving their goals in becoming physicians assistants...etc"

Why do you have to SPECIFY African-American and Latino? Why not Chinese, Filipino, Indian, Jewish, Vietnamese and other ethnic backgrounds? There are many more LESS under-served communities than first two! There is Affirmative Action for that, but that represents a quota. 

Education in US gives EQUAL OPPORTUNITY to anybody, but based on performance, not color or wealth! I mean they should approve any white guy, extremely wealthy, with a 4.0 GPA and plenty of medical experience, OR any African-American guy, poor, with a 4.0 GPA, and with medical experience and/or community service! 

To understand this better, put it the other way: "The PA Program is committed to help white and yellow and under-served communities that are not represented in Harlem NYC!" It doesn't sound right, correct? So don't put boundaries to a concept that is not supposed to have boundaries (by law)!

This is my final comment on this issue:

The statement specifically says "...AND OTHER ETHNIC BACKGROUNDS, WHOSE COMMUNITIES HAVE HISTORICALLY BEEN UNDER-SERVED."

The intent of the statement, and the policy is to increase PAs in under-served areas, so you should focus on the word "COMMUNITIES" and stop emphasizing race. Let me ask you this...

There is a clinic in Brownsville, Brooklyn "Brownsville Family Health Center". There is always a long wait with crying kids and a skeleton staff. The place sucks, big time. Which of these PA is morst likely to go to that clinic to practice after graduation?

1. The rich white guy you spoke of.

2. The poor African American guy

3. A minority (regardless of race) that is accepted straight out of Brownsville with a promise to return to his community.

You say you are a minorty and belong to an underserved community. If so, you should understand this concept. SD gpa requirement is 2.6. Do you know who typically has a 2.6 gpa? Not a Black or White or Filipino applicant. A poor applicant. Those of us who have to work full time and study, who don't have our mom and dad paying our iphone bills, who grew up in single parent families, who go to the worst schools the city has to offer, who come from UNDERSERVED BACKGROUNDS THAT DOES NOT PROVIDE THE EXCELLENT ENVIRONMENT FOR LEARNING. Anyone, regardless of race that comes from a comfortable, stable, even a middle class environment and has a 2.6 gpa deserves to be rejected, unless there are circumstances that indicate the applicant overcame comparable obstacles to those faced by us in the ghetto; yes, those of us in the gutter.

It's no one's fault we had a rough childhood, but at least SD cares enough to give us the chance to excel and not religate minorities to McDonalds and Walmart. As a matter of fact, it's not even about the applicant. They care about providing underserved communities with health professionals.

Thank God for Sophie Davis. They are doing what many others should be doing. PA school is becoming like medical school- a place for the haves. No place for the have-nots. Instead of these arguments maybe some of you can spend some of your time convincing other programs to adjust those unrealistic requirements they have.

Now tell me... if they offer you an interview and ask you what you think of the program, what will be your answer? Remember there are 35 seats, 700 applicant.... what's your answer?

Last year they were going to shut down the program. Do you know why? Do we hear of programs that accept "the most qualified applicant" being shut down?

BTW, why would a minority (as you claim you are) file a complaint against Sophie Davis regarding this issue? Why would a minority's grandfather, whom I would assume is a minority, not understand the importance of what SD is trying to accomplish.

We might be minorities, from underserved communities, but don't you dare think we are stupid.

Because I am a white ethnic minority! I'm not African-American or Latino! I've been working and going to school for the last 3-4 years, and my parents couldn't help me with money, because they are in my home country! I've worked and payed my school and still got great grades! And my GPA is way over 2.6!!! I am a fresh immigrant and nobody have helped me through but me! So don't give me a BULL lesson about what it is right or wrong! I obey the rules, I do my job and I expect the others to do the same thing! And the Brownsville facility would choose the best professional, not the poorest! So stop giving populist statements against something that should be rule!

Okay....well, things are escalating here and getting a little personal. Let's not throw accusations and insults around.

Let's also keep in mind that the admissions process entails reference letters, personal statements, grades, experience etc. each school has a criteria they look for. It's silly to accuse an extremely successful program with an excellent tract record of prejudice.

Lyberum, you are clearly very angry and I am sorry that you are feeling so much frustration. I can relate to what you have said on many levels with regards to the struggles as an immigant.....but lashing out on what you perceive as unfair will never serve you.

I am a white ethnic minority as well, but I have an interview. Why would SD grant me a chance to expand on my application...why would they offer to get to know me if they were in fact "racist"?

In my honest opinion, Sophie Davis is a wonderful program. It teaches to root into a community, to serve everyone equally!

I would be proud to be a SD PA student.

If you don't believe in their mission, I'm sure there are other programs whose mission you can whole heartedly accept and encompass. I wish you the best.

And to everyone else....we are all clearly very passionate about this program. I am hopeful to meet you and know you as fellow SDSBE classmates!!!

I never said they were racist! I just said that their statement on their website leaves room for interpretation, interpretation that should not be allowed in a system governed by laws. I'm sorry if I went too far, but all that I said were allegations! And I still keep my statement that that sentence is wrong in the eyes of the law. In my opinion that statement treats various applicants in different ways. All applicants should be treated equally by their academic performance.

P.S. 

SamalamXO Congrats and good luck with the interview!

Hey. I've just gotten the rejection e-mail.

"While many of our applicants are qualified, competition for a place in the Program is extremely strong. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you admission to the Program."

Good luck everybody!

3.8 GPA with work in medical field, doctor shadowing, community service. It seems that now I have to apply to the "pricey" league. :) I hate filling all the fields in CASPA application every year!

Good luck and I hope that you all get what you wish for!

Archived