Urgent Care

Just as an aside, why in the world did that PA not tell why she chose to use Cipro for empirical treatment? How exactly was that FQ a good first-line choice?

Would Azithromycin not have done the job? Why not an extended spectrum penicillin, or Ceftriaxone? Was it not possible that the recurrent low grade fever came from an autoimmune cause? What tests did that PA say she was going to order to really specify the cause (if it's even bacterial)?

I'm just a student, and I do take it to heart when someone puts down the profession. But a bad clinician is a bad clinician, it doesn't matter what initials come after that name.

i agree cipro was an odd choice and should be explained. i would have done a thorough work up and explained everything i was ordering, and used something with better coverage like a z-pack (if anything!). i dont use cipro for much other than UTI's, unless it is in combo with something (diverticulitis, etc). They are using one bad PA apple to make us all look bad. I have seen bad NP's and MD's too. smh.

Agree on the Cipro thing, but is anyone surprised that a forum like this would highlight one bad example and extrapolate it to the rest of us?  It's female PHYSICIANS....it shouldn't surprise anyone that they'd feel more comfortable seeing another physician.

I've treated many physicians before, as I'm sure y'all have as well.  I rarely have had any issues because I'm a PA, and I make sure it's known that indeed I am a PA.

As I'm sure the rest of y'all have seen as well, I've seen bizarre treatments from physicians that have left my head scratching (treating cellulitis with both keflex AND clindamycin, for example), but I think we all know it comes down to the individual provider rather than the group as a whole

IMHO

PCP Doc's with in 5-10 years of retirement write anything the patients want

Levaquin for 3 days cold, one day dysuria (yup not even cipro), Narocitc - what ever they want....

it is not the newer PA and NP that are doing this in general, but instead the old entrenched..... 

just my limited observations....

(course I have NO idea why this PA treated with CIPRO in this case.... that I view as wrong..... right up there with the ER Doc that gave a Fentanyl PATCH for a UTI!! Yup...... story gets funnier when I refused to refill the Fentanyl and told the patient he could return to the ER for refills - when he got there the Lead PA called up ready to yell at me about sending him in..... till I "informed" him of the reason why.......   can you say tail between legs!)

We ALL - MD.PA.NP need to do a better job at saying NO to requests for ABX and Narcotic pain control for "soft complaints" (those with out ANY tangible proof of injury...)  

That much is true. 

On bizarre treatments, don't even get me started on how many (older) clinicians freely prescribe a freakin' Z-Pac for a cold.

Antibiotics for a viral infection, what could possibly be wrong with that?

I know what you mean. This almost kills me when I see this happening. I expect lay people to ask for antibiotics for any type of cold because they don't understand the science behind the illness. But, I get shocked when I hear a provider did this.

IMHO

PCP Doc's with in 5-10 years of retirement write anything the patients want

Levaquin for 3 days cold, one day dysuria (yup not even cipro), Narocitc - what ever they want....

it is not the newer PA and NP that are doing this in general, but instead the old entrenched..... 

just my limited observations....

I noticed this too. This is not really related. But I noticed that within the field of psychiatry, psychiatrists and PAs ready to retire are more lax with boundary issues. On one occasian a psychiatrist gave her patient money to borrow for a flight. It reminded me of this when you mentioned older providers prescribing wrong (for the lack of a better word).

(course I have NO idea why this PA treated with CIPRO in this case.... that I view as wrong..... right up there with the ER Doc that gave a Fentanyl PATCH for a UTI!! Yup...... story gets funnier when I refused to refill the Fentanyl and told the patient he could return to the ER for refills - when he got there the Lead PA called up ready to yell at me about sending him in..... till I "informed" him of the reason why.......   can you say tail between legs!)

Why on earth would they prescribe a Fentanyl patch for a UTI?! It is an opiate analgesic for pain that is hard to treat.

We ALL - MD.PA.NP need to do a better job at saying NO to requests for ABX and Narcotic pain control for "soft complaints" (those with out ANY tangible proof of injury...)  

Yes

Mommd seems to be more of a support group. They hardly ever argue on there. They all just seem to agree with each other and tack on their little stories. That is why I don't go there as often. I was going to respond negatively to that thread and my response got deleted somehow. I should have typed it on word first and do the cut and paste thing.

what a load of garbage....one of the docs on this thread posts at sdn and described how her difficult cases at a rural er included removing fb's from the cornea...I mentioned this is done by PAs in fast track everywhere else and she seemed to think the procedure was high end medicine....

Archived