Another example of why we need to get 'assistant' out of our name..

http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/hea/4123268290.html

Physician Assistant job in very busy MUHC related pediatric clinic. Ideal position if you are looking to get into medical school or related fields.

Must be available over 3-4 days per week to do approximately 25-30 hours per week.

Must be fully bilingual, excellent communicator, able to quick and accurate data entry and, ideally have some background in health sciences.

Job entails taking patient history, weighing and measuring children, interfacing with patients and doctors.

Must be efficient, exacting and customer service oriented.

Unique opportunity to work on front lines of medical field.

Please send CV, cover letter, specific availability ASAP.

So here we have a job posting on CL and it says they are hiring a physician assistant....

when can we get this word out of out name?

• Administrator

In all fairness, that is Canada, and they can choose to call stuff whatever they want.  I doubt the few Canadian PAs are really enthused by the description, of course.  Nor do I know whether 'physician assistant' is a regulated-use word in Canada, for that matter.

I agree, and this might be part of why the PA profession is in such trouble Up North. The government of Ontario recently (within the past several months) declined to take on the PAs under the provincial board of medical practice, which was a pretty big blow to the few PAs and PA programs up there. I haven't heard the latest, and how or if PAs are going to be regulated. Title-abuse like in that job posting is just a small symptom of a much bigger issue, in Canada.

I agree, and this might be part of why the PA profession is in such trouble Up North. The government of Ontario recently (within the past several months) declined to take on the PAs under the provincial board of medical practice, which was a pretty big blow to the few PAs and PA programs up there. I haven't heard the latest, and how or if PAs are going to be regulated. Title-abuse like in that job posting is just a small symptom of a much bigger issue, in Canada.

This is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.  If PAs in Canada are not regulated by the board of medicine, that means you can create your own PA board and make up your own rules.  Rule #1 -- All PAs in Canada practice completely independently with no oversight from MDs required.

This is how the NPs did it -- their state nursing boards can do whatever they want and the MDs can do a darn thing about it!

You should take this opportunity as a GIFT, not a curse.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-health-care-to-introduce-physician-assistants-1.1932011

I am canadian. When i first found out about the pilot projects and programs opening up I thought forsure you would see a huge surge of programs eventually opening up. Sadly, this isn't the case, but it hasn't regressed from what I understand. Haven't heard much about the issue in Ontario, but the above link is a pretty big step. The comments at the bottom are pretty hilarious... Ignorant people. The beauty of it is that the major complaint in the canadian system are the stupid ridiculous wait times for procedures. It sure is free, but you have to wait for it most of the time. When I say free, I mean we pay in taxes, but for the most part people don't complain much about it... It's more or less widely accepted. Throw more PAs into the mix and you still get free health care but your wait times are lower. Simple concept Canucks... Unless I'm totally missing something.

Hopefully I can get a visa when I graduate so I don't have to test those waters up there :)

Archived