Don't give up

This is for anyone who is considering the PA profession and is worried about their competitiveness. I just got accepted into a great program and have received invitations to 5 interviews so far. I told myself that whenever I got in, I would post something like this. I remember reading these forums about 2 years ago and after reading the stats of most of the people on here, feeling like I'd never get in. I have less than a year of medical experience, and a GPA that barely met the requirements for most schools. I did, however, work extremely hard to have competitive grades in my prereqs, write a great narrative, and get excellent LORs. I also really did my research on the field and was able to make a good case for why I believe that I will make a great PA. All I'm saying is that if I could do it ,you could too. I know it would have been encouraging for me to have read this a couple years ago, so I'm hoping it is for someone reading it now. If you really want to do this, you'll do it. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats!

I have to agree with you about how intimidating this forum can be. I recall finding this place and being grateful I had already been accepted into a program, because I knew if I had found it during the application process I would have been scared out if my mind for absolutely no reason.

For all of you out there, just keep swimming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• 2 weeks later...

PA Schools are not looking for perfect people. I don't think anyone wants a class full of cookie-cutter 4.0 students.

You will always have to convince a program that you will survive academically but after that all bets are off. Most schools like to seat:

• a diverse class
  • students with great teamwork skills who will collaborate well 
  • students with the leadership potential to ensure our profession is well-positioned to meet the healthcare challenges facing our nation

As you look to apply ask yourself: what is the unique thing that I will bring to a PA program? Having a 4.0 is not only not unique, sometimes it is not even all that interesting.

I want to give a word of encouragement to all the "nontraditional" "older" applicants;

Don't let your age or life/family circumstances deter you from your dream.  Not every PA school applicant is in their 20's and fresh out of college, there is plenty of room for those of us who started late.  In fact, our life experiences and maturity makes us a well rounded and desirable applicant. Admission committees know that we are making major sacrifices by going back to school after years in another field or years raising a family.  This shows them how committed we are to reach our goal and that we are driven to succeed!!

It has not been an easy path for me, in fact is one of the hardest thing I have done in my life.  I went back to school 20 years after graduating from high school with zero college credits.  I started my bachelors in Biology at the age of 38 as a single mother of 3.  Fast forward to now and I am about to graduate Magna Cum Laude with my bachelors in Biology and have been accepted to my number #1 choice school!!       I  (and my kids)  have made so many sacrifices but its all paid off.  I am so happy to be starting PA school next June at the age of 44 !!  its never too late, it is definitely doable!!  Don't give up, don't be discouraged!

mindcanachieve.jpg

• 1 month later...

This post was exactly what I needed to hear. I get so discouraged sometimes so, it really helps to hear stories like yours and Maria's. This is my 2nd cycle of applications. I was wait listed last cycle. So far I have received 3 rejections, 1 interview and  no response from 6 programs. Last cycle I thought, "If I don't get it in this time, I'll be more competitive next time and have a much better chance." Even though I completed all required classes with As, obtained CNA certification, more shadowing and HCE, I STILL don't feel like it was enough. With that said, I'm trying to remain hopeful and positive. Hopefully I'll have a similar post to share in the next few months.

Archived