In-State? White? Male? Dispel the Rumors!

I have heard countless times from students and healthcare professionals that if you are a Utah resident, white, or male, that your chances of getting into the U of U PA program are essentially nil. I have heard the same thing from practicing PA's. I want to quash this lie right now.

Let's look at last year's accepted students... 50% were Utah residents. 55% were male. 80% were white.

The program has also expressed an interest in giving preference to regional applicants in the future: "We have always accepted a national applicant pool and historically have not given automatic preference to in-state students. However, given increasing numbers of applicants, we are considering looking at regional factors in our future accepted class."

Non-related - what's up with the "gre" tag on my post? I didn't do that!

That makes me feel better... Cuz yeah I've heard that a lot too. I know three girls that have gone to the u and zero guys. Soooo my personal viewpoint supported that myth, but looks like it's wrong. Phew

I was told at their info session that nationwide there is about a 3:1 ratio of female to male PA students. Yes that's right, they told me that 75% of new PA students are female - but not at the U!

The people that do not get accepted will look at any kind of excuse that is "out of their control".  No one wants to face the facts.  To me its seems like the limiting factor for most applicants is the average number of patient care hours.  Not the color of your skin, or the sex chromosomes you possess.

... To me its seems like the limiting factor for most applicants is the average number of patient care hours.

Based on the info sesh I agree with this. The program requires a 2,000 hr minimum, but the average number of patient care hours in the applicant pool is 4,000 to 6,000. The average in the accepted pool is even higher than that. It is important to be strong on all fronts with this program; HCE, GPA, Strong Letters of Rec, Volunteering, PA shadowing, good personality traits, etc.

I am glad you posted this. Most everyone I talked to about applying said, "You're a woman. Your chances are so much better". Of course I knew better and corrected them, but it was frustrating that immediately the only thing that qualified me in their eyes was my gender. I agree with jacecrawford that we all look for reasons to ease the sting of rejection. I've heard some whoppers for why people thought they were not accepted (i.e. "I had been divorced"). The U is looking for a diverse set of students that they feel will be able to complete the program and excel as a PA, not a set gender, race or religion.  

I am glad you posted this. Most everyone I talked to about applying said, "You're a woman. Your chances are so much better". Of course I knew better and corrected them, but it was frustrating that immediately the only thing that qualified me in their eyes was my gender. I agree with jacecrawford that we all look for reasons to ease the sting of rejection. I've heard some whoppers for why people thought they were not accepted (i.e. "I had been divorced"). The U is looking for a diverse set of students that they feel will be able to complete the program and excel as a PA, not a set gender, race or religion. 

I bet that is frustrating. There are a lot of sour grapes when it comes to these competitive programs. The reason so many people think women have a better chance is because more women are getting college degrees and advanced education compared to their male counterparts. That is the current trend of education. It does not reflect some preference for PA schools to accept women, it's just that more women apply.

Archived