Laptop

You might want to check this laptop out. It's an ASUS X202E-DB21T.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWISC5I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's light, has a pretty good battery life, turns on fast (7 seconds from off, 4 seconds from sleep), and has a touch screen too. Only comes to about 400 USD.

If you've got a bit more money to spend, I'd suggest looking at other models, but this one should suit all your needs for school. Ideally, what you want is an ultrabook laptop. They're thin, light (3 pounds or less), boot up quickly, and have excellent battery life (5 hours or more). If you give me a budget, and certain features you want, I can suggest more models.

Thanks for your feedback! Ideally, I don't want to spend anymore than $500-600 on a new laptop. I'm interested in HP brands if you know anything about those. I'm not looking for a laptop loaded with features. Just something that I can do my schoolwork on, and store pictures. Preferably with Microsoft Office already installed!

Hardly any laptops sell with Microsoft Office free nowadays. The ones that do are generally more premium-grade laptops, at 800$ or more. You will find that many have Microsoft Office preinstalled, but at reduced functionality, and with ads, until you buy a license for the full version.

This one might fit the bill, and your local store might have it too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbished-Midnight-Black-14-Envy-4-1015DX-Ultrabook-PC-with-Intel-Core-i3-2377M-Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/22704392

Other great HP models I'd recommend are:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-15-b010us-15-6-Inch-Sleekbook/dp/B009AU2I92/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1378244326&sr=1-3&keywords=hp+ultrabook

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Touch-Screen-Ultrabook-Laptop-Midnight/dp/B00A9XKQ6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378244278&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+ultrabook

Microsoft Office you can buy at the Microsoft Store for about $80, if you verify as a student. It'll just be valid for 4 years though. Full version Microsoft Office sells for about $140, also at the Microsoft store.

Thanks for your feedback! Ideally, I don't want to spend anymore than $500-600 on a new laptop. I'm interested in HP brands if you know anything about those. I'm not looking for a laptop loaded with features. Just something that I can do my schoolwork on, and store pictures. Preferably with Microsoft Office already installed!

Quite often university's will have licenses for their students already, so that you can just go online and download Office to your computer. I would call and ask the IT people at your school.

I can't really speak for the OP here. But basing on my program at Salus, technology occupies a very large role at PA education today (at least in my generation).

Most lectures have PowerPoints, all books are electronic (cheaper and less to carry), and even our exams, are done on the computer too. The program even has lectures captured, so we can watch it any time, when we review. The only exceptions to this probably are the tests we get at the cadaver lab. Heck, on my clinical rounds, they expect us to log patient encounters on an iPad.

• Administrator

If you want to go cheap, get a good droid tablet and keyboard, NOT Windows in any form.

If you want the correct answer, it is "Get $2000 more in school loans and get a high-end MacBook Pro". Mind you, that's not just my opinion, it's also my firsthand experience, as I continue to actively the MacBook Pro I bought prior to PA school, one year into practice. I have Windows 7 running in a virtual machine when I need it, which is almost never.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to go cheap, get a good droid tablet and keyboard, NOT Windows in any form.

If you want the correct answer, it is "Get $2000 more in school loans and get a high-end MacBook Pro". Mind you, that's not just my opinion, it's also my firsthand experience, as I continue to actively the MacBook Pro I bought prior to PA school, one year into practice. I have Windows 7 running in a virtual machine when I need it, which is almost never.

I agree. Windows is just not reliable. Sure most people probably do not have problems with them, but you don't want to take that chances in PA school. Windows computers broke during school for several people in my class and I think some people even lost all their notes, which is just a disaster! No one had problems with macbooks. I don't think you need a high end macbook. My macbook pro was $1000 but I never had any trouble with it. Buying a cheap laptop might seem like a good idea but when you look at all the PA school loans, the extra $500 is pennies.

Archived