Salary and benefits cuts ?? Widespread?

Ok gang, just seeing how things are going around the country. My system is currently making drastic cuts to our retirement contribution, salary, CME, PTO buyout program, etc. The cuts are for both physicians and advanced providers.....however the physicians have much friendlier cuts and lose a lot less when compared to the PA's and NP's.

This is of course based on the sequestration, affordable care act, declining income, reduced patient population, and general fear by admin. (who are not being cut)

Anyone else out there facing these cuts? Any thoughts on such? We were not invited to the table for these decisions in our "physician lead system."

We will have sequestration cuts starting Oct. 1st and all are waiting with baited breath if the tribe will put us on furlough one day a week. If so, I will pick up locums work again for a day a week. Ugh. Not looking forward to that.

Just learned the employee contribution to health insurance and the dental plan is increasing. No cuts to salary as far as I've seen, and physicians here are the first to be screwed when the company can't afford raises, which hasn't happened in a while. CME is staying the same next year as it was when they made my offer, and I think the PTO buyout program is fabulous. It's not something I've seen many places.

We don't have employer-matched 403B, although I've heard it's coming next year.

On the flip side, the hospital where I worked before PA school just announced that it was laying off 130 people across departments to cut costs, including allied health. Don't know if physicians were part of it, but I doubt it.

We will have sequestration cuts starting Oct. 1st and all are waiting with baited breath if the tribe will put us on furlough one day a week. If so, I will pick up locums work again for a day a week. Ugh. Not looking forward to that.

P.S. We already had our health insurance deductible raised and they did away with family and spouse insurance 2 years ago.

another 70 PA programs with lesser quality individuals who will accept low ball salaries will not make things any better. Big problems in the future ... mark my words.

Why is it that when the number of PAs is set to expand, it spells problems, but when NP numbers expand, they are seen as taking over? Should the PA profession be trying to remain small, or should we be trying to expand?

Why is it that when the number of PAs is set to expand, it spells problems, but when NP numbers expand, they are seen as taking over? Should the PA profession be trying to remain small, or should we be trying to expand?

It is not the expansion of NP numbers that directly threaten the PA profession, it is the expansion of the NP profession in such areas as independent practice, greater reimbursement, hiring preferences, etc.

Indirectly, of course, all of these threats have nothing to do with the clinical quality of NPs but rather with their political power which is tremendous. However, this tremendous political power only partially comes from the NPs, but rather from the enormous number of nurses who back them up.

It is not the expansion of NP numbers that directly threaten the PA profession, it is the expansion of the NP profession in such areas as independent practice, greater reimbursement, hiring preferences, etc.

Indirectly, of course, all of these threats have nothing to do with the clinical quality of NPs but rather with their political power which is tremendous. However, this tremendous political power only partially comes from the NPs, but rather from the enormous number of nurses who back them up.

Nail hit squarely on the head.

at our critical access hospital the match for retirement is out for the time being and no one is likely getting raises for the near future . Tough pill to swallow for the time being, as I get the emails with jobs that have retirement contributions and better benefits. There has been a lot of talk about more cuts and the big "M" word.....merger. Good job with good pay, so I will hold steady and see what other changes 2014 brings!

Archived