Remediation

My graduation date is sept 10 and i've already been cleared to register for the PANCE. My date for the exam is Sept 19. Problem is, my entire class just got emails sent out stating who would be in the remediation program that the school offers. I was shocked to see that I was on this list seeing as I never failed an EOR. Anyway, that is being dealt with at the moment but in the event that they keep us on remediation what is the LEGALITY of this. I called NCCPA and they said as long as my graduation date stays the same i can take the boards 7 days after. Is the school actually allowed to change my graduation date even though I have completed the entire program and passed everything? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By the way this is a 7 week remediation program that will set me back from taking my boards til november. This is not something my employer is going to want to here since im supposed to start work oct 1

Wow!

Have you spoken with anyone in authority in your program? Normally "remediation" is something that needs to be done to replace a bad grade with a good one. From the rest of your story, it is unclear if you are graduating Sept 10 without the remediation or not. If you are scheduled for a remediation class, I would think probably not.

This is worth a face-to-face with someone, and ASAP.

Good luck.

at my program we had exit orals, writtens, and practicals. failure of any got the offender a 2 week course for each section failed. repeated failure = drop from program the week before graduation. I think in our class of 80 4 folks had to remediate. they all passed the 2nd time around but 2 of the 4 did not pass pance the first time. one never did.

You need to go to your governing documents - student handbook, course catalog/bulletin, policy procedure manual - and see what it says there regarding your remediation policy. Once a PA program establishes and serves notice of a policy or procedure, they are obligated to follow it very carefully or they will get in hot water with the courts or the ARC-PA.

Have you spoken with your faculty advisor? A notice like this should never arrive as a surprise. If you never failed anything, I'm inclined to think it is a low GPA issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for writing back.

Since I last wrote I called the ARC-pa and they verbally said that this is not allowed, however, if I actually wanted to do something about it i would have to submit something in writing. the board would then have to get back to me within 21 days. unfortunately, graduation is tuesday and remediation started this past monday.

luckily, for myself i talked my way out of remediation. I just feel bad for the other people who have to do it. This is supposed to be an amazing moment in our lives, instead graduates are going to walk across that stage on tuesday knowing they have a practice quiz to take that night. wooo!

Archived