Firefighter EMT count as HCE?

As the previous poster said, if it is direct patient care, then definitely! Fire fighting may not count for your HCE, but it certainly adds some life experience to your application. I served as both an EMT and a firefighter and I have found that both of them have matured me, given me more responsibility, etc. Although FF doesn't count for hours, it'll certainly help your appearance IMO.

Like others, list the time that you actually were hands on with patients. Many schools (Stanford, e.g.) have you place a percentage of time that you actually worked on patients relative to the number of hours worked. Yeah...your net hours will be less, but in the end, integrity counts for more in the book of a lot of folks than just having a lot of hours.

That said, I know of a lot of folks getting interviews this year that at the most pushed wheelchairs and are counting that as HCE.

Archived