Anyone know any good mnemonics for CBC lab values?

How do you do that, when different labs have different values? As an MA, I'm responsible for importing labs, and noting abnormals. Between Quest, PAL, Labwest, CHW and other companies, some values are pretty varied. Not to mention the different ranges for male/female on Hgb/Hct. I can easily tell what is way off without looking at ranges just from seeing them so often, but ones on the verge, I have to check.

How do you do that, when different labs have different values? As an MA, I'm responsible for importing labs, and noting abnormals. Between Quest, PAL, Labwest, CHW and other companies, some values are pretty varied. Not to mention the different ranges for male/female on Hgb/Hct. I can easily tell what is way off without looking at ranges just from seeing them so often, but ones on the verge, I have to check.

Values will vary slightly between labs but there are still values that are considered a normal range.

I have two answers, take your pick: "That's what a scut monkey is for" or "I have yet to see a lab sheet that didn't indicate normal ranges"

I don't know where you go to school, but we don't have scut monkeys at our disposal when taking exams.....

I understand that in the real world, these values will fluctuate from pt to pt, and reference values will almost always be provided by the lab, etc. However, I also agree with the sentiment that technology is not perfect, and I understand why our facutly wants us to internalize a understanding of the general "normal" ranges for the common CBC values (RBC, Hct, Hgb, MCV, etc.), for both men and women.

At any rate, I was just wondering if anyone had any clever ways to remember the typical CBC values....I have one for remembering the values for a "normal" WBC diff:

Never Let My Engines Blow; 60, 40, 8, 4, ~0!

(Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils; % of each cell found in a normal WBC diff) The numbers add up to more than 100% b/c the numbers reflect the high end of normal - that is, if the values are above, or much below the ones listed, you may have a problem. Its not perfect by any means, but is a good reference point to know!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived