chart co sign

Does anyone know if there is any formal documentation of the 10% chart co-sign repeal? I have a document from AAPA stating it was repealed in washington in 2014 but cannot find anything on the DOH to confirm this. It has been a major issue here and grounds for hiring ARNP's over PA's so I'm looking for something formal to submit to SP's.

• 2 years later...

I'm sorry to revive an old thread. But I've been going back and forth with my employer because they make us send 2 charts per day to be co-signed by our SP. I thought that cosigs were not required in the state of WA but when I asked them about this they said it is so. 

I can't find any language in the RCW that says this. Can anyone help please? 

your employer can mandate it, but it is not a state requirement. I work in WA and have no chart review. The requirement is that the sponsoring physician "have an ongoing awareness of PA practice patterns". My sp and I talk about cases occasionally at shift change. that's it. I work solo.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. I contacted WAPA and was told there's no language that actually mentions co-signatures. So my employer then points me to the WA State PA Delegation Agreement from MQAC that says:

image.thumb.png.e1ff44f20100f2bb2f7fd0bdd2cc5baf.png

They interpret the highlighted line as "PAs need a co-signature on charts". So, until it's revised, I guess I'm stuck. 

8 hours ago, MSPAC said:

Yep. I contacted WAPA and was told there's no language that actually mentions co-signatures. So my employer then points me to the WA State PA Delegation Agreement from MQAC that says:

image.thumb.png.e1ff44f20100f2bb2f7fd0bdd2cc5baf.png

They interpret the highlighted line as "PAs need a co-signature on charts". So, until it's revised, I guess I'm stuck. 

my department does an "interesting case review" yearly. An outside doc comes in and reviews maybe a dozen high profile (big trauma, stroke, stemi, lifeflight involvement, etc) charts, unaware if they were written by a pa or a doc. They then make recommendations. We also sign out cases to each other at shift change occasionally, which gives my sp the opportunity to review workups in progress, etc.

Archived