Question for Paramedics that moved on to PA

Hello PAForum! I tried searching for information on this forum, but I came up with little results and not much time to grind through previous posts at the moment. So I apologize if this presents itself as redundant! Anyways, I am currently finishing up my medic associates degree. What is the best undergrad course of study to move on to? I have biochem on my mind but I would like to cut my time in undergrad as much as possible. I wasn't sure what from my Associates would translate to a BS in order to cut down my workload (and ultimately the cost of undergrad... which is the real purpose behind this question). I am familiar with the prereqs for schools that I am interested, but not too knowledgeable on the most efficient way to tackle these goals with an AD in Paramedicine moving forward into a BS program. I appreciate you taking the time to read and reply!

The degree type you get is really insignificant. The important thing is to have the prereq's you need. You can get a BS in whatever field you want. I don't know of a major where many of the medic specific classes would transfer into. I think your best bet is just to find a major you'll enjoy and do well in. Biochem is pretty time intensive and if you are working as a medic in a high volume area you aren't gonna have a lot of down time to study.

Maybe some type of business type degree or something then. The problem with that tho is that the prereq's aren't a part of the degree you'd be seeking, so unless the prereq's would somehow transfer as electives, I think you'd end up taking more classes anyways. Really all the prereq's are freshman and sophomore level classes, I think.

I did my undergraduate in Clinical Services Management at Texas Tech University. My AAS in Paramedicine transferred in completely allowing me to only have to take the junior and senior year courses ( 4 semesters going full time). You must have an Associates already and the program is 100% online. I was able to complete it while working full time as a Flight Paramedic.

As stated above, I don't really think it matters what your undergrad degree is in as long as you meet the pre-reqs. I got my BS and MS in Public Administration. I got my EMT and Medic while getting my BS. When I decided I wanted to go to PA school I went back and did my pre-reqs and will start this Fall. The upshot for you is you will have a medic background with a fair amount of HCE by the time you apply to PA school so that is a plus for you! Point being that you should get your BA/BS in whatever interests you, it doesn't have to be medical related. You can still get into PA school!

Archived