Should PAs get Involved in Oral Health?

What do you guys think about this? Would you be interested in working in dentistry? How many more months of schooling would you sacrifice to be qualified? I think it's a great opportunity to expand the PA profession and it would open up a lot of new job opportunities. Below is a link to the FAPA survey if anyone is interested in taking it, it only took about three minutes to complete.

Should PAs get involved in oral health?

Many Americans lack regular access to dental care; this is especially true in the state of Florida. One proposal to address this problem is the inclusion of physician assistants in oral health care delivery. This survey investigates physician assistants' interests and desires to serve in an oral health capacity. Your participation gives valuable information that could aid in increasing access to oral health.

Please click link below to take this anonymous survey:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YL5PV32

PA should not be treating cavities/fillings. That is what dentists are for. PAs should be practicing oral health .... looking for oral cancer, to searching for signs of oral infection, the list goes on and on and PAs have been doing this for decades. The nore I learn about associations between oral infection/hygiene and other health issues the more I recommend dental care and consultation. If patients cannot afford I refer to local dental schools for discounted rate.

My program is doing a pilot study with this. We have already taken a pretest and I believe we will receive some extra hours in oral health education/counseling, etc. Then a post test to see what we have learned. Seems ok I guess, the extra knowledge won't hurt. But what do I know, I just started PA school. =D

• Administrator
If i wanted to be a dental hygienist, I would have applied to that school. I have zero desire to monkey around with someone's teeth beyond a visual exam of the oral space. Teeth wig me out.

You should try diabetic foot care... :-) No teeth involved, I promise!

Archived