I'm so lost; would appreciate any advice/suggestions!

Hi everyone!

I am currently a third year undergrad student with a 2.93 GPA. I am pretty sure I can raise it over a 3.0 by graduation, but I know it still is an extremely low GPA. My science GPA is even lower. I am planning to go to MA school after I graduate and work as a MA, while shadowing PAs. I was wondering if my MA school grades count towards the GPA that the admissions committee sees; could my MA grades raise my GPA/science GPA? Also, because my GPA is so low, should I retake classes or should I just apply after working as a MA when I feel that I am ready to apply? Or does anyone else suggest I do things differently. I am extremely lost and I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Thank you so much for your time :)

What is your undergrad in? Can that be turned into a medical related career? My point is that there are many many ways to gain experience in the medical field. Some are actually careers unto themselves that can be quite rewarding. Have you ever heard of a cardio pulmonary perfusionist? Do you know they make around $100,000/yr? How about a cardiac sonographer? Ever consider nursing? So many options out there...You say you are lost and appreciate any advice..what are you lost on? The path on becoming a PA? Or finding a good career in medicine, helping people, that offers job stability, respectable pay, and hours that allow for a home life?

@jasonD thank you for the suggestion :) do you know if my MA grades would show up and If I do we'll in the classes, could that raise my gpa?

@just Steve I'm lost trying to find a path on becoming a PA. I'm willing to put the time in effort. I don't just want a job to make good money or anything of the sort. I'm asking more of advice/feedback on my current plan/route to becoming a PA. Is the MA school and working as a MA a good Option? What can I be doing now to improve my application? What should I do about the classes I got Cs/C+s in? Feedback like that would be great.

thanks to both of you for replying. I really do appreciate it.

bruin928:

It sounds like you've given this career path some considerable thought. Here are some thoughts from a PA admissions director.

1. Research institutions you'd like to attend carefully. Determine their average but also range of accepted GPAs. Consider their repeat policies. Some institutions have more restrictive policies than others. Indiana University's program allows up to 15 credit hours of repeated prerequisites with the second/final grade applying toward prerequisite grade and prerequisite math/science GPA requirements.

2. Do everything you can to improve your GPA, not only by repeating courses but by taking relevant courses to PA school and earning excellent (A) grades. Only credit hours completed from regionally accredited colleges or universities are acceptable to Indiana University and many institutions, so if you attend a "certificate" or other program, you'll want to be sure the institution is under regional accreditation (not national, transnational, etc.). This will likely require you to work less and focus on school more.

3. Continually revisit your goals and needs; make sure the PA path is right for you. There are, as others have indicated, tremendous opportunities in other areas of health care that allow you to work with patients, in patient education, and in other very rewarding roles.

Best wishes to you.

Josh Morrison

Indiana University Physician Assistant Program

paadmit@iupui.edu

Archived