Doing your 20 as an active duty PA, plus rank questions

I've read on some a previous thread where they mentioned how PA's in the Army are expected to fill non-PA roles as a officer if they want to do their 20, how true is this? and how about in other branches?

I've heard in the Air Force, they do not like to extend commissions because of budgetary constraints and retirement. Any truth to this?

I do want to serve in the military medical field but allowing me to do 20 years and have a choice to retire plays a big role.

As for ranking, I've heard the highest ranked PA in the army (which tends to promote quicker and generously), is a O-5, is there a non-spoken prejudice against making a PA a full-bird? How is it in other branches?

Any inputs?

Thank you.

(Another case scenario is doing 20 in the reserves and maintaining a civilian PA career.)

I can answer 2.

It's not prejudice, it's just that there are multiple professions in the medical service corp. you will need to do admin duties, but won't be taken completely out of patient care just to rank up until retirement, as I've been told. The navy just had a PA make O6 and my faculty mentor is an O5 Navy reserve PA. So I think it's very doable to retire as long as you aren't a slacker and put forth efforts into your fitreps.

Archived