Apprehensive about RRT to PA path.

Hi everyone! In August I will begin a Respiratory Therapy program in San Antonio TX however, I am becoming more and more apprehensive due to the many negative posts on the web (i.e. lack of jobs and the profession being phased out by many hospitals). My ultimate goal is to become a Physician Assistant within the ER and I believe that becoming a respiratory therapist would be a great way to gain experience and provide a stepping stone on my path to becoming a PA. I would really appreciate it if some of you could shed some light on the RRT profession inyour area and it would be nice to hear from some of you who have also taken this same path… I appreciate everyone’s insight and thank you in advance for your response.

The RT profession is geographically dependant in regards to jobs. When I came out of RT school, I had a job offer from a clinical site, as did many of my classmates. I have worked at several hospitals in both the Midwest and Southeast and never had an issue finding work. I think the "hype" of RTs being phased out is a legitimate concern. The cold truth is that RNs can physically do everything a RT can. Of course, RTs bring a special clinical skill set that most hospitals fail to fully utilize. I would advise you to check out the job listings of your local hospitals, as well as track down a local RT to determine if there is a strong market for employment in your area. While I feel the role of RT is underutilized, it equips you with a skillset that will give you an edge over those with lesser experience in PA school.

I was a RRT in the DFW area and I am now a PA student. First off, you are correct that the RT curriculum and clinical experience provides a great foundation for practice. I am so thankful that I became a RT before a PA. Clinical experience MATTERS! There is no shortcut to becoming proficient in an emergency situation. There is a reason why the pulmonologists at my job only hired NP's who were former critical care nurses. The only PA they hired used to be a RT who worked in the MICU. I know you are drawn to ER now, but the real meat and potatoes of respiratory care is in critical care. That is where you will cut your teeth, so to speak. Learn how to manage a ventilator every which way possible. Personally, I think you should be okay in Texas. I was also worried about the job market 3 years ago for RT, but was able to find a job at one of my clinical sites. I'm not sure what SA is like, but in DFW there were many openings though I will admit that a position probably had a tens of applicants. If you are willing to apply broadly and treat every clinical rotation like a job interview, you should be able to find a job somewhere.

My class at UTHSCSA has an RT in it. She's doing great and the pulmonary stuff was a breeze for her. Don't know why she swapped from RT to PA, but her experience and training have been an asset to her.

Good to know... Thanks! I'm also interested an attending UTHSCSA. How do you like the program?

My class (2014A) is the last of the 33 month programs. 2014B is a 27 month program, as are all future classes. UTHSCSA has been pretty good. Faculty turnover has been a problem in recent years, so continuity might be an issue. We're in clinicals now ( starting Tuesday), so that's less of an issue for my class, and depending on who they get in to chair the program, it might or might not be an issue going forward.

I like my program a lot. Our pharmacology and medicine courses were taught with the MS-2s. The quality of the lectures and the exposure to the medical students, and them to us, is a huge thing. The medical students asked about us, what we do, etc because by and large, they are not taught what PAs do or anything about our education.

However, PA faculty is teaching medicine in the new curriculum and to be honest, teaching medicine so that someone can pass the PANCE is a disservice to the student and future PA, IMO.

Like most other students, I feel wholly incapable to start clinicals, but I understand that's normal as well. At UTHSCSA, you take the packrat before clinicals and we all did fine, so that was reassuring.

Would I recommend UTHSCSA? Good question and I'm unsure on the answer. The school of allied health is being closed and the PA program will move under the school of medicine so that's a good thing or bad, depending on who you talk to.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost into my second year in the RT program and will finish May 2014. I was afraid like you about the likelihood of finding a job after graduating and will definitely have to come back and talk about whether or not I have had issues with job placement when it is all said and done. I do know the previous class before me, at least half have already found a job, and the others I don't know because I don't really talk to them. I too plan to use RT as a stepping stone to gain experience and move on from there.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...