Will mistakes from my high school years keep out of good PA programs? PLEASE HELP!

Hi All,

So I am fairly new to this community, but I have recently discovered what I consider an huge setback for myself, and I'm literally in tears and panic right now and hope someone has some sort of knowledge or experience with this and can answer my question. I am a junior at a 4-year university in NY, and I have worked very hard to get where I am today. I don't party, I don't go out, I basically spend all of my time studying and being involved in activities that will help me get into PA school, because I really want this more than anything I've ever wanted in my life. SO, here is the problem.

I attended a top high school in NYC, and part of the curriculum involved something along the lines of a dual-degree program during senior year (our school is located on a college campus, and high school seniors were required to take classes, some chosen by the high school, at the college) Needless to say, like most people then, I had severe senioritis and since these classes didn't count for my average, and I had already gotten into my university, I didn't put much thought or effort into the classes. (Big mistake, I know, but on top of that, I happened to get classes that were taught by difficult professors!) So anyway, I was recently sitting down and reviewing my to-date college transcript and I noticed the credits that I transferred over from high school where on it. Suddenly I realized (I had never thought of this before since this is from high school) that I probably will have to send that transcript over to CASPA, and I almost died at the thought of it. I got an F and 2 C's during those years, meanwhile my current College GPA is a 3.6. I knew I had messed up in high school, and going into college I PROMISED myself that I would fix everything and start fresh, and until today, I felt like I had succeeded. My dream has been to overcome my shortcomings during high school and prove to myself and everyone else that I am smart and work my butt off to get into a top program, and also because I simply felt like I deserve it after 3 years of serious work, stress and tears. Yet, now I find myself feeling like I shouldn't even bother applying at ALL, because my F and C's from my pre-college years will basically disqualify me before they even get a chance to look at my actual college accomplishments. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will these grades count toward my CASPA GPA? will programs actually look at something that happened during high school? I almost find it unfair to think that because of a requirement set by my school, and juvenile mistakes before my high school years, I should now have a disadvantage to other students who didn't have to take these kinds of classes, and are able to leave any misfortunes/unsuccesses in their high school past behind them. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!

Hi All,

So I am fairly new to this community, but I have recently discovered what I consider an huge setback for myself, and I'm literally in tears and panic right now and hope someone has some sort of knowledge or experience with this and can answer my question. I am a junior at a 4-year university in NY, and I have worked very hard to get where I am today. I don't party, I don't go out, I basically spend all of my time studying and being involved in activities that will help me get into PA school, because I really want this more than anything I've ever wanted in my life. SO, here is the problem.

I attended a top high school in NYC, and part of the curriculum involved something along the lines of a dual-degree program during senior year (our school is located on a college campus, and high school seniors were required to take classes, some chosen by the high school, at the college) Needless to say, like most people then, I had severe senioritis and since these classes didn't count for my average, and I had already gotten into my university, I didn't put much thought or effort into the classes. (Big mistake, I know, but on top of that, I happened to get classes that were taught by difficult professors!) So anyway, I was recently sitting down and reviewing my to-date college transcript and I noticed the credits that I transferred over from high school where on it. Suddenly I realized (I had never thought of this before since this is from high school) that I probably will have to send that transcript over to CASPA, and I almost died at the thought of it. I got an F and 2 C's during those years, meanwhile my current College GPA is a 3.6. I knew I had messed up in high school, and going into college I PROMISED myself that I would fix everything and start fresh, and until today, I felt like I had succeeded. My dream has been to overcome my shortcomings during high school and prove to myself and everyone else that I am smart and work my butt off to get into a top program, and also because I simply felt like I deserve it after 3 years of serious work, stress and tears. Yet, now I find myself feeling like I shouldn't even bother applying at ALL, because my F and C's from my pre-college years will basically disqualify me before they even get a chance to look at my actual college accomplishments. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will these grades count toward my CASPA GPA? will programs actually look at something that happened during high school? I almost find it unfair to think that because of a requirement set by my school, and juvenile mistakes before my high school years, I should now have a disadvantage to other students who didn't have to take these kinds of classes, and are able to leave any misfortunes/unsuccesses in their high school past behind them. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!

Hi All,

Deep breath!

Explain what happened in your application. Don't dwell on it excessively, but explain yourself It sounds like your "post high school" GPA is good.

If you have an idea of where you are applying, you might consider a campus trip and talk to the academic coordinator there. They can probably help you further.

One other thought: the credits were transferred to your college from another college? If you don't need the credits, perhaps there is a way to expunge them as transferring credits from one institution to another is often a choice, not a requirement. Your college registrar might be able to help you there.

Good luck and don't panic.

Deep breath!

Explain what happened in your application. Don't dwell on it excessively, but explain yourself It sounds like your "post high school" GPA is good.

If you have an idea of where you are applying, you might consider a campus trip and talk to the academic coordinator there. They can probably help you further.

One other thought: the credits were transferred to your college from another college? If you don't need the credits, perhaps there is a way to expunge them as transferring credits from one institution to another is often a choice, not a requirement. Your college registrar might be able to help you there.

Deep breath!

There might be a way to expunge the credits from my current college's transcript, but according to something I read on CASPA, I have to send in transcripts to CASPA anyway. I don't think lying or cheating and not including them would be the best idea. I have yet to talk to an academic advisor about this because it just hit me today, but right now all I can say is I'm just about ready to give up on something that has been my dream since I started college.

There might be a way to expunge the credits from my current college's transcript, but according to something I read on CASPA, I have to send in transcripts to CASPA anyway. I don't think lying or cheating and not including them would be the best idea. I have yet to talk to an academic advisor about this because it just hit me today, but right now all I can say is I'm just about ready to give up on something that has been my dream since I started college.

be careful with this. I didn't send a transcript for 1 course I took at community college in high school(an ethics class I didn't need to get into pa school and got a B+ in anyway).

it showed up as a transfer credit on my undergrad transcript and my pa program considered my app incomplete without it. of course they never gave me an interview that yr because I had an incomplete file. I called them later and only then did I learn about this problem so I submitted the transcript and gained admission the next yr but it cost me a yr....granted a yr during which I had an incredible medic job but it was still a delay of a yr....

be careful with this. I didn't send a transcript for 1 course I took at community college in high school(an ethics class I didn't need to get into pa school and got a B+ in anyway).

it showed up as a transfer credit on my undergrad transcript and my pa program considered my app incomplete without it. of course they never gave me an interview that yr because I had an incomplete file. I called them later and only then did I learn about this problem so I submitted the transcript and gained admission the next yr but it cost me a yr....granted a yr during which I had an incredible medic job but it was still a delay of a yr....

and I'm literally in tears and panic right now

If trying to figure out how to get into PA school is putting you in a panic and making you actually cry, what will you do when a patient is crashing in front of you? It's time to buck up and handle this in a calm/professional/mature manner. Use your personal statement to explain discrepancies and point out your upwards grade trend.

If trying to figure out how to get into PA school is putting you in a panic and making you actually cry, what will you do when a patient is crashing in front of you? It's time to buck up and handle this in a calm/professional/mature manner. Use your personal statement to explain discrepancies and point out your upwards grade trend.

Hi All,

Do the grades actually show up on your transcript? I was in a similar situation in that I had credits from high school on my college transcript (but there were no grades). I didn't get any F's in high school, but it didn't matter anyway. I applied and was accepted to every school I applied to. I never even thought to send them the transcript for those credits....and they never asked for it.

Just relax. I'm sure everything will work out. :)

Hi All,

Do the grades actually show up on your transcript? I was in a similar situation in that I had credits from high school on my college transcript (but there were no grades). I didn't get any F's in high school, but it didn't matter anyway. I applied and was accepted to every school I applied to. I never even thought to send them the transcript for those credits....and they never asked for it.

Hi All,

wuttechris, stressing out about this is quite a different manner than having a crashing patient. That I am able to deal with, because it is those kinds of interactions that I've been working so hard these past 3 years to be able to achieve. It's when you SUDDENLY realize, after 3 years of positive thinking, pushing hard, working days and nights, that some stupid mistakes from high school might actually keep you away from your dreams, is when you feel like breaking down.

As for Maverick87, the credits (not grades) do appear on my transcript because I did decide transfer over the C's to cover a few general requirements (since the grades don't actually appear on the transcript, I didn't see why not) But that's not the issue. I can probably get them removed from my transcript without a problem, however CASPA clearly states that you must send them ALL transcripts for any college credit courses you've taken, even ones you took in high school, so now I'm wondering if those are grades I'm going to need to put into CASPA as well, and do they factor into the CASPA GPA. How were you able to get away with not sending yours in? were they college classes or just AP credits form high school, because that's very different.

wuttechris, stressing out about this is quite a different manner than having a crashing patient. That I am able to deal with, because it is those kinds of interactions that I've been working so hard these past 3 years to be able to achieve. It's when you SUDDENLY realize, after 3 years of positive thinking, pushing hard, working days and nights, that some stupid mistakes from high school might actually keep you away from your dreams, is when you feel like breaking down.

As for Maverick87, the credits (not grades) do appear on my transcript because I did decide transfer over the C's to cover a few general requirements (since the grades don't actually appear on the transcript, I didn't see why not) But that's not the issue. I can probably get them removed from my transcript without a problem, however CASPA clearly states that you must send them ALL transcripts for any college credit courses you've taken, even ones you took in high school, so now I'm wondering if those are grades I'm going to need to put into CASPA as well, and do they factor into the CASPA GPA. How were you able to get away with not sending yours in? were they college classes or just AP credits form high school, because that's very different.

Archived