Undergrad Freshman Considering Attending PA Program

I am currently a Freshman in college pursuing a Public Health Sciences major. I have looked into the PA programs in California and I am sure that I want to pursue a career as a PA. However, I still have some questions and I was hoping for someone to help me create a "plan of action" for the rest of my undergrad years all the way through applying to a PA program. Some general questions I have:

-When is the best time to apply to a PA program? Should I plan to attend right after my undergrad graduation, or is it better to wait some time after I graduate and then apply?

-How competitive are PA programs in California? Is the minimum GPA listed in the general requirements enough?

-What if I am struggling in some courses as an undergrad? Is it impossible to get back on track and continue pursuing a career as a PA?

-How do I fullfil the work related hour requirements as an undergrad?'

-The Stanford PA program is accelerated. Will this program be more competitive to get into?

If you can help with any of my concerns I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I am currently a Freshman in college pursuing a Public Health Sciences major. I have looked into the PA programs in California and I am sure that I want to pursue a career as a PA. However, I still have some questions and I was hoping for someone to help me create a "plan of action" for the rest of my undergrad years all the way through applying to a PA program. Some general questions I have:

-When is the best time to apply to a PA program? Should I plan to attend right after my undergrad graduation, or is it better to wait some time after I graduate and then apply?

-How competitive are PA programs in California? Is the minimum GPA listed in the general requirements enough?

-What if I am struggling in some courses as an undergrad? Is it impossible to get back on track and continue pursuing a career as a PA?

-The Stanford PA program is accelerated. Will this program be more competitive to get into?

The best time to apply to a PA program is when you have the necessary healthcare experience, GPA, and maturity to be a competitive applicant. Many apply straight after undergrad, while others take time off to take more classes, amass healthcare experience, and do other activities. People are successful applying at either time, as long as the necessary GPA, healthcare hours, and classes have been amassed.

I do not know specifically about programs in California, however in general the minimum listed GPA is not usually considered competitive for most PA programs. Given that many programs have 2000+ applicants for 50 or fewer spots, the minimum GPA (usually 3.0) does not mean much. A better guide would be to look at what the average accepted applicant GPA is for the schools you are interested in (my guess is most schools are 3.3+).

Many students struggle in some courses in undergrad, and it does not prevent them from becoming a PA. That being said, you do not want to stumble in too many classes, because doing so will make it difficult to recover and improve your GPA to acceptable standards either during your undergraduate career or in taking or retaking classes at a later time. Its important that you figure out how you lean information best early on in undergrad and use that to succeed in your future courses. If you are struggling in a course, seek help early on and devote more time to that course.

To fulfill the work related hour requirements you can obtain one of several certifications (CNA, EMT-B, etc) in a relatively short amount of time, and work during undergrad, during summers/breaks, or both to amass the hours needed. Alternatively, you can take time off after school to amass the hours as well.

The best time to apply to a PA program is when you have the necessary healthcare experience, GPA, and maturity to be a competitive applicant. Many apply straight after undergrad, while others take time off to take more classes, amass healthcare experience, and do other activities. People are successful applying at either time, as long as the necessary GPA, healthcare hours, and classes have been amassed.

I do not know specifically about programs in California, however in general the minimum listed GPA is not usually considered competitive for most PA programs. Given that many programs have 2000+ applicants for 50 or fewer spots, the minimum GPA (usually 3.0) does not mean much. A better guide would be to look at what the average accepted applicant GPA is for the schools you are interested in (my guess is most schools are 3.3+).

Many students struggle in some courses in undergrad, and it does not prevent them from becoming a PA. That being said, you do not want to stumble in too many classes, because doing so will make it difficult to recover and improve your GPA to acceptable standards either during your undergraduate career or in taking or retaking classes at a later time. Its important that you figure out how you lean information best early on in undergrad and use that to succeed in your future courses. If you are struggling in a course, seek help early on and devote more time to that course.

To fulfill the work related hour requirements you can obtain one of several certifications (CNA, EMT-B, etc) in a relatively short amount of time, and work during undergrad, during summers/breaks, or both to amass the hours needed. Alternatively, you can take time off after school to amass the hours as well.

Archived