Hi!

So I am currently a junior in high school and I am thinking of becoming a PA. My current plan is to get my bachelor's in Environmental Engineering, mostly because it's something I enjoy though I think it could be difficult and complicate my life unnecessarily so I'm open to changes. I am also currently taking a lot of APs and dual enrollment courses to try to get rid of some gen ed classes to be able to take the PA school prerequisites. I also am thinking of doing a minoring to get an associates degree in diagnostic medical sonography to be an ultrasound technician since it has a lot of overlapping prereqs as PA school. I may need to go to a university with an open curriculum or one that has less general ed requirements in order to do all this. But this way, I would be able to take a sort of "gap year" between undergrad and PA school working as an ultrasound tech to get some extra clinical experience, fluff up my CV/resume, maybe get some extra shadowing hours, and of course make some money to help pay for undergrad and PA school costs.

I am also an international student and want to study in the US which is mostly why I need and want to exceed and go the extra step.

I'm not sure if all this might be too much. Please let me know if you have any feedback!! I'd appreciate it.

Hi! I'm international too so I feel ya'! Love your plan so far. Have you considered direct entry/ dual BS MS PA programs? I know a lot of schools are offering it and I wish I had known about these back when I was in high school. They are super competitive to get into but definitely worth looking into. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Trishh said:

Hi! I'm international too so I feel ya'! Love your plan so far. Have you considered direct entry/ dual BS MS PA programs? I know a lot of schools are offering it and I wish I had known about these back when I was in high school. They are super competitive to get into but definitely worth looking into. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! I wasn't aware that there were advanced programs for PAs but I'll definitely look into it. I'm not sure if they're for me though because I want to be able to somewhat enjoy my college years and PA programs are already very fast paced from what I've heard. Part of the reason why I am choosing PA instead of becoming a doctor is the work-life balance which is very important to me. I'll definitely do more research on them before deciding though. Thanks!