Need Opinions from Fellow PA's

Here is the thing, I have been a P.A. for over 10 years in general medicine in a Satellite to the main hospital. The satellite service lost their contract with the hospital--> So, instead of laying us all off, we were transferred to the Hospital. I was put in a critical care area (no training, nothing). Here's the thing, I have M.S., so it is slowing down my learning capabilities. I can't pick up as quickly as I used to (and to be honest, this is not what I like to do, I like medicine). The Big Hospital is now trying to can me (totally being railroaded), but, I'm vested and there is a union here, I need the benefits. They even made me see special doctors to ensure that, because of the M.S., I'm not jeopardizing patient healthn (NEVER, EVER have I made a mistake!!! I just go too slow for them!!!).

Holy Anxiety!!! And we all know that Anxiety can cause memory issues!!! Put it all together and I"M A MESS!!!

I am sooooo not knowing where to turn or what to do. I don't have the funds for a lawyer, and what would they do, I'm still getting paid, but just to do Scut-Work (i'm pushing papers right now).

Any thoughts would be sooooo appreciated!!!!

--HELP!!!

I am asking this because, frankly, I do not know the answer.

Does ms affect cognitive function?

If not, how is that slowing your learning curve?

Granted there are some motor functions ( lines, tubes, etc) in critical care that ms might affect... But these functions can usually be shared, and may not be as critical to the job as the cognitive part.

If ms DOES affect cognition, then, frankly, I agree with your employer, you may not be suited for inpatient care, if medicine at all.

Which would seem to make you eligible for disability.

I think MS can affect you emotionally as well as some cognitive functioning like memory loss and concentration among other things. To what degree, we will see what the OP says. I think that it is fairly rare for it to affect the person to the point that they shouldn't be able to practice medicine from a cognitive standpoint, physically is another question??? This is copied directly from the www.nationalmssociety.org website..... Cognition refers to a range of high-level brain functions, including the ability to learn and remember information: organize, plan, and problem-solve; focus, maintain, and shift attention as necessary; understand and use language; accurately perceive the environment, and perform calculations. Cognitive changes are common in people with MS—approximately 50% of people with MS will develop problems with cognition.

• A person may experience difficulties in only one or two areas of cognitive functioning or in several.
  • Only 5-10% of persons with MS develop problems severe enough to interfere significantly with everyday activities. In very rare instances cognitive dysfunction may become so severe that the person can no longer be cared for at home.

[h=2]Cognitive Functions Affected in MS[/h]In MS, certain functions are more likely to be affected than others:

• Memory (acquiring, retaining, and retrieving new information)
  • Attention and concentration (particularly divided attention)
  • Information processing (dealing with information gathered by the five senses)
  • Executive functions (planning and prioritizing)
  • Visuospatial functions (visual perception and constructional abilities)
  • Verbal fluency (word-finding)

Certain functions are likely to remain intact:

• General intellect
  • Long-term (remote) memory
  • Conversational skill
  • Reading comprehension

Thanks for the info.

If the OP 's MS is infact affecting her cognitive fxn, then she may well not ge suited for continued employment in medicine.. Which requires the ability to absorb, integrate and utilize new data constantly.

The worse clinician is the one which practices by rote, and cannot for whatever reason access new procedures, protocols, medications, or treatments.

A neurocognative evaluation might help..

Again, I suspect there has evolved a case of functional disability... All of the things your reference above states that MS effects are crucial to critical thinking.. Which is absolutely necessary in medicine.

I'm also wary of the clinician who claims to have never made an error.

In my experience (having cared for patients with MS and having a family member with it), it certainly can/does affect cognitive function... and not just memory. The OP mentioned problems learning new information and skills quickly. I think it would be reasonable to expect significant training when transitioning between specialties but if the learning difficulty is not something that can be overcome I don't think any workplace should/would/could keep a PA in "training mode" indefinitely. They should expect to see clinical growth and eventually, for the PA to be contributing to the financial health of the hospital.

I'm so sorry about this forced job change. Is it possible to find another job in a less stressful setting? Stress is so tough on MS and it would be a shame for you to have any flares because of a job.

As far as the cognitive effects of MS, we all know that diseases affect individuals differently and at different rates. My father, who has had MS for 50 years, is still actively writing and publishing academic books in his retirement and so far has had very few cognitive effects (mostly motor weakness, vision, and sensation issues). I'm sure you are well aware of your abilities and will also know if and when, in conjunction with your neurologist, your MS is affecting your ability to practice medicine.

Wishing you well and hope you find a great solution!

I'm so sorry about this forced job change. Is it possible to find another job in a less stressful setting? Stress is so tough on MS and it would be a shame for you to have any flares because of a job.

As far as the cognitive effects of MS, we all know that diseases affect individuals differently and at different rates. My father, who has had MS for 50 years, is still actively writing and publishing academic books in his retirement and so far has had very few cognitive effects (mostly motor weakness, vision, and sensation issues). I'm sure you are well aware of your abilities and will also know if and when, in conjunction with your neurologist, your MS is affecting your ability to practice medicine.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1567576910002675

One of the few studies I've found that actually dares to use the word "cure". Make sure the supplement you get contains black pepper extract (piperine, piperidine, 'bio-perine', etc) because it increases absorption in the stomach by up to 2000%. For people taking turmeric for inflammatory pathology involving the intestinal tract, no black pepper extract because you want it to pass through.

One of the few studies I've found that actually dares to use the word "cure". Make sure the supplement you get contains black pepper extract (piperine, piperidine, 'bio-perine', etc) because it increases absorption in the stomach by up to 2000%. For people taking turmeric for inflammatory pathology involving the intestinal tract, no black pepper extract because you want it to pass through.

Archived