Organic at CC?

So, I previously took Organic Chemistry at a four year university and there were at least 500 students in my class and everyone was smart (Cornell), so it was difficult to do well! I just did not connect with the professor and did not understand what was going on so I dropped the course. I was wondering how difficult Organic Chemistry would be at a community college? Nothing was more difficult for me than Organic and I'm terrified to take it again!

Well then at CC it would probably be a lot easier, but it depends on the CC and the professor. I heard horror stories about CC Orgo or university Orgo. I took it at university and our professor was horrible, so I taught it myself. If it is absolutely required, then take it at CC. Also buy "organic chem as a second language." Wonderful book. It will make o-chem seem like a piece of cake. The subject has one fundamental concept and if you get that, then you get all of the class. This book will drill that into you.

I wouldn't go into PA school with the attitude of hating physical sciences. Stuff we learn requires basic knowledge of all sciences, even o-chem. Can you get away without o-chem? Yes. Will things make more sense with o-chem? YES! Same with physics.

I wouldn't go into PA school with the attitude of hating physical sciences. Stuff we learn requires basic knowledge of all sciences, even o-chem. Can you get away without o-chem? Yes. Will things make more sense with o-chem? YES! Same with physics.

I loved physics. never took ochem and don't think I have suffered for it at all. graduated 3rd in my class of 80 and have scored very highly on pance and all my panre's, etc.

I loved physics. never took ochem and don't think I have suffered for it at all. graduated 3rd in my class of 80 and have scored very highly on pance and all my panre's, etc.

That's why I said it's not essential :). But if OP's school requires o-chem, my best bet is they are going to teach him/her biochemistry so that would be different from curricular here. I think o-chem is useless in PA school but I am glad I took biochem because things make a lot more sense now.

I took Orgo at a CC and absolutely loved the class. It was a lot of work, but I had a great teacher whose background was in science education. I had a nice small class of 25 - 30 students, so if I had any questions the teacher was always available. She was also finishing her doctorate in science education, so she had a fresh approach past lecturing and letting you figure it out for yourself. It was great.

I was terrified of taking orgo, but worked hard and actually did really well in it, and enjoyed it.

So, I previously took Organic Chemistry at a four year university and there were at least 500 students in my class and everyone was smart (Cornell), so it was difficult to do well! I just did not connect with the professor and did not understand what was going on so I dropped the course. I was wondering how difficult Organic Chemistry would be at a community college? Nothing was more difficult for me than Organic and I'm terrified to take it again!
If you look at my avatar you will see I am as apprehensive as you are lavender

Purplez and for those who are familiar with the book, I noticed there is "Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language:Translating the Basic Concepts", OR "Organic Chemistry II as a Second Language: Second Semester Topics" Which one would you recommend? TYIA http://www.lookupbyisbn.com/Lookup/Book/0471272353/0-471-27235-3/1 <--- As you see here there are 'other' versions of the book

I took Orgo at a CC and absolutely loved the class. It was a lot of work, but I had a great teacher whose background was in science education. I had a nice small class of 25 - 30 students, so if I had any questions the teacher was always available. She was also finishing her doctorate in science education, so she had a fresh approach past lecturing and letting you figure it out for yourself. It was great.

I was terrified of taking orgo, but worked hard and actually did really well in it, and enjoyed it.

I also took Orgo at a local CC. The professor had a doctorate on Organic Chem and he was an awesome teacher. I found it difficult but I liked it so much better than Inorganic Chem. I worked my silly head off because I also had a full-time job but I enjoyed every minute of it! To me, so much of biology and medicine in general made so much more sense to me after Orgo. And yes, the smaller class size was wonderful.

Also buy "organic chem as a second language." Wonderful book. It will make o-chem seem like a piece of cake. The subject has one fundamental concept and if you get that, then you get all of the class. This book will drill that into you.

Yes!! Those books (there are 2, one for each semester) are how I got through ochem with good grades!!!! Great suggestion!! And they're cheap.

I have always said, I like the CC classes because you do get that individual attention from the prof if needed. The classes are always cheaper and that is always a good thing IMHO.

Yeah, I don't understand why more people don't use them. You are presented with the same material and learn the same things, and for a lot of my classes I had Dr.s teaching instead of TAs or people that were retired from a particular field that could bring real life experience to what they were teaching.

Personally I've never found much continuity judging courses based on CC vs 4y or in the level 100-200-300-400. I took many of my prereqs at a CC and some of the 200 level classes were much harder than many of my 400 series classes at my 4y. But like others have said, cheaper+smaller class size helps.

Personally I've never found much continuity judging courses based on CC vs 4y or in the level 100-200-300-400. I took many of my prereqs at a CC and some of the 200 level classes were much harder than many of my 400 series classes at my 4y. But like others have said, cheaper+smaller class size helps.

Do WE really need it?!? Technically no, ... http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/07/16/do-pre-meds-really-need-that-year-of-organic-chemistry/

But some say the rigor of the course and discipline needed to pass is itself a weeding out process for those considering to be a physician assistant and it is required for their school like myself. And others say, if one can’t pass organic chemistry, it is unlikely they will develop the studying skills needed for medicine, which I think is bull. All I know is I need the class and I am going to give it my ALL when I am ready.

Do WE really need it?!? Technically no, ... http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/07/16/do-pre-meds-really-need-that-year-of-organic-chemistry/

But some say the rigor of the course and discipline needed to pass is itself a weeding out process for those considering to be a physician assistant and it is required for their school like myself. And others say, if one can’t pass organic chemistry, it is unlikely they will develop the studying skills needed for medicine, which I think is bull. All I know is I need the class and I am going to give it my ALL when I am ready.

Archived