Organic at CC?

Do WE really need it?!? Technically no, ... http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/07/16/do-pre-meds-really-need-that-year-of-organic-chemistry/

But some say the rigor of the course and discipline needed to pass is itself a weeding out process for those considering to be a physician assistant and it is required for their school like myself. And others say, if one can’t pass organic chemistry, it is unlikely they will develop the studying skills needed for medicine, which I think is bull. All I know is I need the class and I am going to give it my ALL when I am ready.

I'm just finishing up my didactic year of school and I haven't had a single instance where I needed to use o-chem. My school did require one semester of o-chem as a prereq, and I took it at a community college. The material is no different at a cc vs. a four year university, but the class sizes are much smaller. I took it at night and my class had 20 students. I can see how biochem would make things come together a little easier though. If you're worried about the difficulty of the professor, I used Rate my Professors to pick a professor that matched my learning style.

I'm just finishing up my didactic year of school and I haven't had a single instance where I needed to use o-chem. My school did require one semester of o-chem as a prereq, and I took it at a community college. The material is no different at a cc vs. a four year university, but the class sizes are much smaller. I took it at night and my class had 20 students. I can see how biochem would make things come together a little easier though. If you're worried about the difficulty of the professor, I used Rate my Professors to pick a professor that matched my learning style.

I saved organic biochemistry for last, and regret trying to take it in the summer, with a first-time prof who had a Ph.D. in chemistry but was all over the place teaching wise. My buddy flew through the course seemingly with ease while I wound up withdrawing and waiting for the regular semester (thus delaying my application a full year), a blessing for other reasons. But taking in the fall with another Ph.D. prof who had been teaching for 15 years was a gulf of difference in terms of how we were taught and how much fun she made it, repeatedly telling people who asked too many questions, in a comical tone: "Stop! Stop overthinking it! You don't need to understand it that level, so stop! If you were a chemistry major, we'd have that discussion. But you're not. So stop it!"

I saved organic biochemistry for last, and regret trying to take it in the summer, with a first-time prof who had a Ph.D. in chemistry but was all over the place teaching wise. My buddy flew through the course seemingly with ease while I wound up withdrawing and waiting for the regular semester (thus delaying my application a full year), a blessing for other reasons. But taking in the fall with another Ph.D. prof who had been teaching for 15 years was a gulf of difference in terms of how we were taught and how much fun she made it, repeatedly telling people who asked too many questions, in a comical tone: "Stop! Stop overthinking it! You don't need to understand it that level, so stop! If you were a chemistry major, we'd have that discussion. But you're not. So stop it!"

I like this story because I do tend to this over analyzing things ... Thanks for the reminder :=D: as I am sure I need to refer to this thread when I am ready to take O' Chem as well. BTW just outta curiosity where did you take the class?

I like this story because I do tend to this over analyzing things ... Thanks for the reminder :=D: as I am sure I need to refer to this thread when I am ready to take O' Chem as well. BTW just outta curiosity where did you take the class?

Archived