Health Science Degree Alternatives?

I finished my associates degree in science last year after spending over 3 years as a part time student. This summer i'm transferring to CSU university and taking courses toward the Pre-PA track Health Science degree. I'm starting to realize this might be a bad idea since all i'll have is 2 general degrees once i'm done with my undergraduate. In total i'll have been at this community college for 4 years after this semester!

I'm a student who started off with an average 2.5 GPA but I have raised it to 3.2. I also got C's in 3 of my prereqs that i'll be retaking at CSU since all the local PA programs require B's or higher in each prereq. I don't want to finish my undergraduate with tons of student loans and find out I cannot get into a PA program. I won't have any backup health care job to get more experience before I try re-applying either. I've been trying to look at the programs other schools around here offer, but I cannot find any bachelor degrees that don't require an associate degree in that field (for example, respiratory therapist, nursing, ER Tech/Higher EMT, etc...). My goal is to work in the healthcare field even if I don't make it into PA school. I haven't given up the hope of making it into PA school yet, but I just want to be on the safe side...

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives for me to take a look at? I appreciate all the advice that i've been given here so far!

I finished my associates degree in science last year after spending over 3 years as a part time student. This summer i'm transferring to CSU university and taking courses toward the Pre-PA track Health Science degree. I'm starting to realize this might be a bad idea since all i'll have is 2 general degrees once i'm done with my undergraduate. In total i'll have been at this community college for 4 years after this semester!

I'm a student who started off with an average 2.5 GPA but I have raised it to 3.2. I also got C's in 3 of my prereqs that i'll be retaking at CSU since all the local PA programs require B's or higher in each prereq. I don't want to finish my undergraduate with tons of student loans and find out I cannot get into a PA program. I won't have any backup health care job to get more experience before I try re-applying either. I've been trying to look at the programs other schools around here offer, but I cannot find any bachelor degrees that don't require an associate degree in that field (for example, respiratory therapist, nursing, ER Tech/Higher EMT, etc...). My goal is to work in the healthcare field even if I don't make it into PA school. I haven't given up the hope of making it into PA school yet, but I just want to be on the safe side...

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives for me to take a look at? I appreciate all the advice that i've been given here so far!

Medical technologist or nursing are good options. Also consider the that getting another associate's in something like respiratory therapy will set you up with a good career while you finish undergrad and provide you with a strong source of HCE.

That's just my problem though. I already have been at a community college for 4 years and have an associate degree in science (general transfer degree). I don't want to go back and spend another 2 years of my life just to get another associate degree. I need to continue on and get my bachelors degree so I can apply for PA school. However, i can't find any specific bachelor degrees that don't require the associate as a prereq (bachelors of nursing, respiratory therapy, etc... all require you to have an associate degree or a ton of prereqs in that field).

This summer i'll be working towards a Pre-PA Track Health Science bachelors degree. It'll help me get all my prereqs done for PA school, but it won't give me a job if I don't immediately get accepted into PA school. I'm looking for an alternative bachelor degree. Thanks

Medical technologist or nursing are good options. Also consider the that getting another associate's in something like respiratory therapy will set you up with a good career while you finish undergrad and provide you with a strong source of HCE.

That's just my problem though. I already have been at a community college for 4 years and have an associate degree in science (general transfer degree). I don't want to go back and spend another 2 years of my life just to get another associate degree. I need to continue on and get my bachelors degree so I can apply for PA school. However, i can't find any specific bachelor degrees that don't require the associate as a prereq (bachelors of nursing, respiratory therapy, etc... all require you to have an associate degree or a ton of prereqs in that field).

This summer i'll be working towards a Pre-PA Track Health Science bachelors degree. It'll help me get all my prereqs done for PA school, but it won't give me a job if I don't immediately get accepted into PA school. I'm looking for an alternative bachelor degree. Thanks

Does your university have a BSN program?

Yes, http://www.csuohio.edu/undergradcatalog/undergradcatalog10_11/edu/bsnur/nur.htm

However, wouldn't they only consider applicants who are RNs, LPNs, etc... with all the prereqs since it is considered a competitive program? Would I even be able to work as a nurse without my RN license? Plus isn't RN/BSN an iffy field to get into before going to PA since they expect you to go NP?

Does your university have a BSN program?

Yes, http://www.csuohio.edu/undergradcatalog/undergradcatalog10_11/edu/bsnur/nur.htm

However, wouldn't they only consider applicants who are RNs, LPNs, etc... with all the prereqs since it is considered a competitive program? Would I even be able to work as a nurse without my RN license? Plus isn't RN/BSN an iffy field to get into before going to PA since they expect you to go NP?

I figured I'd try and break your questions down and answer them stepwise:

1. A majority of people pursing a BSN don't have an RN. It's perfectly acceptable to start a BSN program with no RN experience. All you would need to do is make sure you've taken the prereq courses and apply.

2. Getting a BSN from an accredited school allows you to sit for the nursing cert and get licensed as an RN.

3. Nursing is looked upon HIGHLY and is considered top tier HCE for PA school admission.

Hope this helps.

I figured I'd try and break your questions down and answer them stepwise:

1. A majority of people pursing a BSN don't have an RN. It's perfectly acceptable to start a BSN program with no RN experience. All you would need to do is make sure you've taken the prereq courses and apply.

2. Getting a BSN from an accredited school allows you to sit for the nursing cert and get licensed as an RN.

3. Nursing is looked upon HIGHLY and is considered top tier HCE for PA school admission.

Hope this helps.

Hmm... I never really though of BSN. I always felt like it was a field for RNs to bridge into. It sounds too good to be true though.

Would this be ideal for a PA though? I do have all of my prereqs done for PA school except organic chemistry. Also I still have to retake general chemistry 1, general biology 1, and general biology 2 since I got C's in these classes.

It appears I have all the pre-reqs for BSN completed as well. I'm confused though, it looks like a 4 year program. If I already have my associate (2+ years of school) shouldn't it be a 2 year program? Or is this for people who don't have an associate degree? If i have to spend another 4 years on my undergraduate this would seem like a setback on a career that has already been delayed enough for me.

My PA prereqs will probably expire by the time i finish the BSN + 2 years of HCE.

Hmm... I never really though of BSN. I always felt like it was a field for RNs to bridge into. It sounds too good to be true though.

Would this be ideal for a PA though? I do have all of my prereqs done for PA school except organic chemistry. Also I still have to retake general chemistry 1, general biology 1, and general biology 2 since I got C's in these classes.

It appears I have all the pre-reqs for BSN completed as well. I'm confused though, it looks like a 4 year program. If I already have my associate (2+ years of school) shouldn't it be a 2 year program? Or is this for people who don't have an associate degree? If i have to spend another 4 years on my undergraduate this would seem like a setback on a career that has already been delayed enough for me.

My PA prereqs will probably expire by the time i finish the BSN + 2 years of HCE.

According to the link for your school, you'd have 68 credits to take, not counting the prereqs. That would be a little over 2 years, assuming your AA covers the school's general education requirements. As for prereqs "expiring", it varies per school. Some want A&P within 5 yrs, some want all prereqs to of been taken within 10 years of applying and others have no expiration date.

According to the link for your school, you'd have 68 credits to take, not counting the prereqs. That would be a little over 2 years, assuming your AA covers the school's general education requirements. As for prereqs "expiring", it varies per school. Some want A&P within 5 yrs, some want all prereqs to of been taken within 10 years of applying and others have no expiration date.

So let me get this straight... Anyone with a general associate degree and prereqs can apply for the BSN which is only a 2 year program? And this will allow me to work as a nurse if I pass everything? Im having a hard time searching online for information on it. It sounds like it's a 4 year program that you start before you even do any schooling or associate degree.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions as well? I'm going to speak to an general advisor tomorrow and see what they say but all the actual counselors are booked for the next couple of months...

What about exercise science? Or is that as worthless as health science?

I don't know what your school offers, but there are numerous tracts for becoming an RN. There's the Associate route, one year prereqs then two years of nursing school. There's the direct entry BSN which depending on the school you choose could mean starting a four year degree or could mean transferring your first two years into the program after finishing the prereqs (kinda like transferring from a community college into a 4 yr program to finish a bachelors in any other degree). There's also a direct entry masters program for people with other bachelors degrees as well as BSN and MSN completion programs for nurses who chose the ADN and/or BSN route. You'll need to figure out what kind of program is offered where you are going if that's the route you want to pursue.

NO you cannot work as a "nurse" without a license.....

PA schools don't expect nurses to become NP's but if you choose nursing, you should expect to answer the question, "Why would you choose PA over NP?" Because it will be asked over and over and over again.

there are bs level paramedic programs out there. check out loma linda and u.wa

I checked a couple of local schools and they are all associate degree and certificates. Plus i'd assume the schools that offer EMT B.S. only accept EMT-B or certified paramedics into the program. Either way I doubt I have the pre-reqs to get in any EMT program.

If it matters, I have all my prereqs done for PA school except organic chemistry. I believe I have 74 credit hours completed if not more. So it's not like I need health science B.S. to get my prereqs done. Bachelors degree of health science just seems like a waste of time from what I gather.

Archived