Is getting your MPH a good idea for PA school?

Are there many jobs for MPH?? and would it be a good idea to get a MPH? I heard that PAs don't have any job advancements which means you will always be a PA. I was hoping that maybe getting a MPH would broaden my job options in case I get bored of being a PA or when I'm old and can't do certain things anymore? Thanks!

I am currently an MPH working at the CDC in global capacity building and quite honestly, with the federal budget in such dire straits, the likelihood of actually getting a full time employment within the federal government is rare. I know other MPHs who have been contractors for 5+ years in the same division, and there is no possibility of them ever getting converted b/c of hire freezes, budget cuts, etc. That being said, there are plenty of MPHs out there who do get full time employments and do great global work, but also realize that at CDC at least, you will never be valued as a high as a PhD, MD, or DVM and will eventually hit a ceiling in your MPH career. I have chosen to pursue PA, b/c after spending some time in the public health arena, I realized that I love clinical care a little bit more than public health and feel that I would make a greater impact in direct individual care. Don't get an MPH just because you think you will get to do international or fed government and have a greater pick of jobs, do it because you love public health.

Archived