Reapplying to Emory

Hi, any suggestions for ways to improve my application second time around? I was wait listed last time and am trying to figure out what I can do to strengthen my application this time. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

My GPA is good- so taking extra classes isn't going to help pull it up at all. I am always willing to take more classes if it will help round out my academics...

My clinical experience is pretty extensive in OB/GYN, Internal medicine, urgent care and cardiology

My GRE is low- I could take it again but I don't test well on standardized tests and am not really sure I would pull it up much a second time

I would like feedback from anyone who is in a similar situation or anyone who was accepted their second time around.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If what you say is completely accurate, and you were wait-listed, I would focus on 3 things:

1. If you got to the interview (which you obviosuly did), you don't need to worry about academics anymore because they wouldn't have invited you in the first place if you didn't meet that criteria. So I would focus more on the interview itself. As I am sure you found out, some of the people you interview with seem like the complete package and some don't. The ones who get accepted (at least from my experience) are the ones who have the personality to match the academics and experience.

2. Volunteer more if you don't. Emory very strongly recruits those with an unpaid volunteer background. As for me, I volunteered once a week at a free clinic. It's not for hours, it's to show Emory that you have a higher calling in medicine and are passionate about people.

3. Take the GRE again anyways. Even though you were interviewed in light of your past scores, it wouldn't hurt to come back with even a marginally better score.

I hope this helps and I wish you good luck for this application cycle. I can tell you that Emory is worth the wait. They not only recruit top notch students, but your classmates become your family and you won't find a group of faculty more dedicated than ours.

If what you say is completely accurate, and you were wait-listed, I would focus on 3 things:

1. If you got to the interview (which you obviosuly did), you don't need to worry about academics anymore because they wouldn't have invited you in the first place if you didn't meet that criteria. So I would focus more on the interview itself. As I am sure you found out, some of the people you interview with seem like the complete package and some don't. The ones who get accepted (at least from my experience) are the ones who have the personality to match the academics and experience.

2. Volunteer more if you don't. Emory very strongly recruits those with an unpaid volunteer background. As for me, I volunteered once a week at a free clinic. It's not for hours, it's to show Emory that you have a higher calling in medicine and are passionate about people.

3. Take the GRE again anyways. Even though you were interviewed in light of your past scores, it wouldn't hurt to come back with even a marginally better score.

I hope this helps and I wish you good luck for this application cycle. I can tell you that Emory is worth the wait. They not only recruit top notch students, but your classmates become your family and you won't find a group of faculty more dedicated than ours.

Another thing that might help is to apply earlier (i.e. apply before the "early admissions" deadline if you didn't last year). I feel like having an earlier interview might work to your advantage since they have more slots to fill at the beginning than towards the end...?

Since I have no clue when you applied last round this might be useless. But it is something easy to do so why not if it can help!

Another thing that might help is to apply earlier (i.e. apply before the "early admissions" deadline if you didn't last year). I feel like having an earlier interview might work to your advantage since they have more slots to fill at the beginning than towards the end...?

Since I have no clue when you applied last round this might be useless. But it is something easy to do so why not if it can help!

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for your encouragement. :) I appreciate that you took the time to respond. I have applied- hopefully will get interviewed sooner this time as my application was way late last year. I am hoping to know something before December as I have been offered another seat at another school beginning in Jan. I would Love to go to Emory and agree it is well worth the 6 month wait if I get offered a seat this time!

Best of luck to you who are starting this year- two weeks from now-- Seems so surreal!

Thanks again,

Cara

Archived