Advice for retaking science courses/improving GPA

So while the jury is still out for this application cycle, I was denied an interview at my preferred school and I will need to register for spring classes very soon if I'm going to work on improving my GPA to attempt the next cycle. I have been working as an RN for over 4 years, a majority of my pre-reqs are from prior to nursing school (so next cycle, some may need to be retaken just because they're too old) and I've got a couple C's in my older sciences. Most recent sciences have been almost all A's (including O-chem) so I think I've demonstrated much improved study habits.

All in all I feel pretty certain on what I need to do to make myself a better candidate and improve my chances, mainly improve GPA, cast a wider net and stay well ahead of my deadlines. I also plan to take the GRE which will greatly expand my options. My question is, would it be more beneficial for me to, for example, retake my Chem 1 with a grade of C a long time ago or take a more advanced science like O-chem II? I'll only have spring and summer next year to take classes before I reapply so I want to make the most of that time.

Also, first time using this forum which would have likely helped me during this cycle but hoping to get it right this time. ;)

I think your first decision is whether or not your past low academic performance merits an explanation in the app materials. If you had difficult circumstances that led to poor grades the pro advice is generally to address that in your personal statement- briefly, taking responsibility, and explaining how you overcame to have a great career as a nurse and make stellar grades later etc. Some schools will even have a special place in supplemental app materials to explain Fs or academic bankruptcy. On the other hand if it's just a couple of Cs in a long ago freshman or sophomore year owing to immature study habits, I think that story tells itself on your transcript and shouldn't be belabored. Let your recent academic performance do the talking.

As for your other decision, my instinct would be to take more junior, senior, or even grad level sciences to demonstrate that you're ready for PA school. If you make As in those courses it will boost your GPA and show that you can perform academically at the next level. That seems a wiser use of your time and $. Consider- if you retake gen chem and get an A you've only proved to me that you can make an A in gen chem. But if you make an A in Org or biochem, then I know that you could have made an A in gen chem, and that the reason you didn't was prob because you didn't study enough in your freshman year of college. But then you have also shown that you can learn difficult material as an adult, while balancing non-academic responsibilities. It tells a better maturity story IMO.

Finally it might also pay to look at the GPA breakdown that your target programs are concerned with. Some will look at the most recent 30-60 hours while others may look specifically at a prereq GPA or both. And if you still have questions you can always ask adcomm staff or faculty, by contacting directly or at open house, what the most effective demonstration of your qualifications would be.

Generally I was leaning towards that being the case but some schools say that Gen Chem 1 for example is specifically required as a prereq and I know I applied to one this cycle that required it be within the last 8 years. Next cycle that course will be outside of that time frame. I'm guessing I can get specific approval from the school to accept the credits from a higher level course as I'm sure they would prefer that to retaking the lower level, like you said.

Thank you so much for your response, it was very helpful. Definitely overwhelming trying to fulfill the various requirements of different programs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If this is your only low grade and they'll accept a higher course as a substitute don't retake and take a higher level course closer to the difficulty level of PA school. Many schools will say something like "no more than 2 Cs in pre-reqs are accepted". I've got 2 Cs in chemistry (Chem 1 and Orgo 1) and a D in genetics (which is the only course I did retake to get an A, but the D's still on the transcript). But I didn't bother retaking the chemistry classes and still got plenty of interviews and accepted, doing well in Biochem probably helped.

Otherwise the course expiration would be the only reason I'd think you'd want to retake it and I'd only do that if you really think it's going to expire before you get accepted, so you could always retake it during the cycle if you're thinking during next cycle you may have to do this a third time. But I hope for your sake you won't reach that point!

Archived