Current Psychiatric PA in Tri-State Area???

Hi all,

I have recently decided to pursue a career as a PA instead of going to medical school and becoming a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist. For numerous reasons, I have decided it makes much more sense for me to become a PA. Obviously, my ideal is to become a psychiatric PA as my heart lies within mental health. I studied mental health in college and most of my clinical experience has been with adolescent psychiatric inpatients. To say I am in love with the field is an understatement. Not only have I been unable to find a psychiatric PA to shadow in the NY Metropolitan Area, I cannot seem to find anyone to even speak to!

Would anyone be willing to share with me their experience? Or know of any practices or individuals with whom I could shadow? Is finding a psychiatric PA in the Tri-State impossible? While I am excited about other specialties and being a PA regardless of psychiatry, it would mean a lot to me to know it is possible to be a psychiatric PA in the NY Metropolitan Area. (Both of the Psychiatry Attendings at the NYC hospital I work in and two psychiatrists I am close with do not know of any psychiatric PAs - crazy!) Maybe the Tri-State area just needs a bit more time to realize the benefits of employing psychiatric PAs!

I really appreciate any contacts or advice you may have.

Best,

S

Archived