PA-MD Bridge programs and oral/maxillofacial surgeons

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a graduate of both PA school and Dental school, I can tell you that the education is quite different. We received more general anatomy education in PA school. In DS we studied UE, chest, trunk, and esp head and neck anatomy. Pharmacology was much more focused. I learned more about microbiology, physiology, embryology, biochemistry, etc in DS than PA school. Then in second year of DS there were many more dental focused classes.

I have never regretted my PA education/experience, and it has been well respected among the patients and dental school faculty that I have encountered. BTW, I have no idea how many hours that I received per semester of either education, but it was not commensurate with the amount of time studying for the accompanying courses.

As a graduate of both PA school and Dental school, I can tell you that the education is quite different. We received more general anatomy education in PA school. In DS we studied UE, chest, trunk, and esp head and neck anatomy. Pharmacology was much more focused. I learned more about microbiology, physiology, embryology, biochemistry, etc in DS than PA school. Then in second year of DS there were many more dental focused classes.

I have never regretted my PA education/experience, and it has been well respected among the patients and dental school faculty that I have encountered. BTW, I have no idea how many hours that I received per semester of either education, but it was not commensurate with the amount of time studying for the accompanying courses.

So you admit that PA school is more closely related to the last three years of med school and dental school is just closely related to the first. Thanks for making my point that there could easily be a 2 year bridge for PAs covering the basic sciences and some patho for a practicing PA.

If they can remember enough Gen Chem, Orgo, Gen. Bio, etc to score a 22 or higher, I'd definitely say experience (PA school) trumps an MCAT score.

Yep, you really have to look into the circumstances around that individual when they took the MCAT which is what the interview or personal statement is for. For instance, had that person been out of college for many years or were they working full time and raising a family, etc. If you look at my MCAT score you would be underwhelmed (it was right around the average if I remember correctly) but I took it during my sophomore year of college prior to taking my physics, organic chemistry and biochemistry classes. Every applicant is complex and different and therefore their application should be viewed as such.

• 2 years later...

I had to learn to STOP thinking like a PA and set aside real world knowledge of how medicine is actually practiced to succeed on exams. When I did that, my grades got much better. It's all part of the game ;(

PD: I realize this is an old thread and have graduated Med School (BTW congrats again) since this post, but I was wondering what exactly did you mean by this. How are they different and how are they the same? I know there is some overlap, but I was just wondering ... 

My answer to whoRyou is that to succeed on taking tests one must think about the textbook answers and how we are taught medicine throughout the education process.  Test questions are based on that, not how we practice in real life.

In real life we may prescribe an ACE I instead of HCTZ base on the patient's unique needs or base on allergies, side effects, etc. but a textbook answer would say we need to prescribe the HCTZ first.  

It is the same idea when PAs recertify and are taking PANRE:  You can't answer the questions on how "you" would treat your patient and based on your local or clinic criteria or practice setting.  Textbook answers are the key. 

Archived