Will this count for HCE?

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to this site, so please bear with me :smile:. Would something like a Unit Secretary on a Labor and delivery floor of a hospital count for HCE?

Some background:

I became and EMT-b last summer and haven't had the best luck in finding direct patient care work using the certification. I currently work in a laboratory (in a hospital setting), but the schools I've contacted said that this was more of an indirect form of patient contact experience. I was just recently contacted for a position as a unit secretary on a Labor and Delivery floor of the hospital I work in. I asked the HR person if there would be any real patient contact experience and she told me that it would be minimal (say for example, if the techs and nurses were all busy then you'd help) and that most of the contact would be with doctors/nurses. I'm pretty frustrated with myself for not finding something sooner and I want to jump on the opportunity if I am able to get the job, but I don't want to make the mistake of quitting the job I have now for something that pays much less and won't give me the experience PA schools are looking for. I appreciate any help/advice. Thanks!

Currently your work in a lab without direct patient contact. Although you're not going to have direct patient contact, its a step in the right direction and provides a foot in the door for a position that can give you direct patient contact. You'll see how everything unfolds in a healthcare setting as a unit clerk. Putting in orders for labs, diagnostic tests, calling various departments, setting up patients for transfers, familiarizing yourself with the different departments in a hospital, and admissions / discharges / insurances. I think it's a good experience to have (better then sitting in a lab outside of healthcare). After you're there for a few months and know who's who at the hospital try and work your way into maybe a PCT or ER Tech or EKG Tech role. You can also talk to various supervisors on different units and see if you can pick up any PCT shifts if they're short staffed. At my hospital I am an ER Tech, however (because I have the certs for it), I sometimes pick up PCT shifts in DOU, PCU, ICU, Med Surge, and Observation in addition to being able to pick up a phlebotomy or 12 lead ekg tech shift (I have my phlebotomy, EMT, and a 12 lead license). Some days both of our unit clerks call out and I have to pull double duty being a unit clerk and EMT. This experience will just let you become more well rounded once you become a PA being able to see how things work first hand that you may not be exposed to while in school.

What kind of lab are you in and what are you doing? Are you an MLS or just doing basic processing type work?

I work in a Microbiology lab. I am not a certified tech, but I do things that go beyond just basic specimen processing (ex. making/reading gram stains, subbing out positive blood cultures, antigen testing, notifying to doctors/nurses about alerts/positives/ect). So it is more so indirectly dealing with patients because I don't go on the floors and deal with people personally.

Unless you're a PBT (phlebotomy technician), working in a lab generally does not count towards HCE. You'll have to check with the program(s) you want to apply to in order to verify their standards. I'm considering 6 different programs and all of them specifically state was does and does not count towards HCE. Unit Secretary is definitely on the "no" list.

The lab I work in allows you to work either as a PBT or a lab tech (processing specimens in Hematology, Mircro, etc.). The program I really want to get in to specifically states that phlebotomy counts, but the lab technician work does not count. Which makes sense. Being a PBT, I have hands-on contact with patients throughout the day. Working in the lab, I would only interact with the microscope, lab equipment, the computer and my co-workers. I can see why it doesn't count, even though you need extensive training and a strong science background.

Thank you all for your input. I think I will end up declining the job offer. I was also offered a job as a patient sitter, but I don't think that counts as HCE either. I guess the search continues lol

I wouldn't necessarily turn that job down so quick. If you're interacting with patients at some level it should be counted as direct HCE, at least by most programs. Some of my work in the ED was with psychiatric patients, watching and monitoring them, and I'm 99.9% certain this still counts for most schools. You'd be surprised at how much work some of these patients require. Just my 2c.

I wouldn't necessarily turn that job down so quick. If you're interacting with patients at some level it should be counted as direct HCE, at least by most programs. Some of my work in the ED was with psychiatric patients, watching and monitoring them, and I'm 99.9% certain this still counts for most schools. You'd be surprised at how much work some of these patients require. Just my 2c.

Which job are you referring to? Unit secretary or Patient Sitter?

A couple of the unit secretaries that I have worked with (in Med/Surg and L&D) were eventually hired as CNAs. They each put in about 6 months of work as a unit secretary, and eventually started doing both roles. Since you have your EMT, you may be able to pick up CNA/Tech shifts if someone calls in sick or needs coverage for a vacation day. The hardest part of getting a CNA/EMT/Tech job in a hospital is getting your foot in the door --- hospitals tend to hire people with prior hospital experience. Will you interview with the department manager? You can ask them if you'd be able to pick up tech shifts as needed.

Which job are you referring to? Unit secretary or Patient Sitter?

I meant as a patient sitter. Agree with with Aliss said as well. I had experience as a Navy Corpsman and I still had to volunteer for 9 months in the ED before I got hired on full time. Sometimes you just have to make your self known to those who run the departments.

Archived