PA school verses DPH

Hey guys I have a question, I'm trying to decide between reapplying to PA school or pursuing a doctorate in public health and before everyone starts stoning me to death I did search for a similar topic and I couldn't find anything. A quick background I'm a medical technologist with about 8 years experience I have a pretty extensive hc background Including also working as a medical assistant and CNA. I was accepted to PA school last year but I withdrew from the program due to some family issues. I have a B.S. in Health Science and an M.S. in Medical Lab Science. I'm having difficulty deciding which route to pursue PA or DPH. I enjoy direct patient contact however I think I would enjoy research more, yet I'm concerned about job prospects I live in a very rural state and I think PA has more job opportunities. Any thoughts anyone else in a similar situation ? Thanks in advance.

Yes my error on the abbreviation I am thinking DrPH not the Doctorate in Public Policy. Also was thinking about only applying to the couple "online" DrPH programs there are two that are Ceph accredited. My PA school application will be geographically limited as well since I'm not willing to relocate. But I'm not as concerned with being accepted as I am just making the decision as which route to pursue and if anyone has any insight.

If you want to do research with a DrPh or PhD in public health, those job opportunities might be even more limited. I considered a DrPH years ago and considered the same issues. Jobs in academic settings doing teaching or research would probably also require relocation. The people I know who went on to earn doctors had to move for post-doc positions then again for academic appointments, sometimes multiple times before landing stable, tenure track positions. Others have been working as lecturerers. My only experience with research has been with a major academic setting that has the infrastructure (grant management, IRB, etc) to support it, I'm not sure how research outside of those settings works.

If you want to do research with a DrPh or PhD in public health, those job opportunities might be even more limited. I considered a DrPH years ago and considered the same issues. Jobs in academic settings doing teaching or research would probably also require relocation. The people I know who went on to earn doctors had to move for post-doc positions then again for academic appointments, sometimes multiple times before landing stable, tenure track positions. Others have been working as lecturerers. My only experience with research has been with a major academic setting that has the infrastructure (grant management, IRB, etc) to support it, I'm not sure how research outside of those settings works.

Thank you, this was exactly the kind if information I was looking for. I would love to do epidemiological research however I want a job and think PA gives a better opportunity for that, especially where I live.

Archived