pre employment screenings....

For a job offer, is it typical for an employer to ask for a mandatory blood glucose screening and cholesterol screening? This seems really invasive to me but I'm told that HR does not see the numbers. They just get an "ok or not ok to work" from the nurses, so I presume this is how it's "legal" for them to do this, however, I dont see how this effects my ability to perform as a PA. I asked if I could opt out and was told my employment is contingent on having these tests done.

Coincidentally, both of my numbers are low normal range, but I dont feel that this is their business to know. I feel weird for my employer to need to know these numbers.

Am I over-reacting? HR is making me out to be crazy by simply asking why they need this. (Have not questioned UDS, BAC or vision, just glucose and cholesterol).

Thanks for opinions.

I got a utox and PFT's and hep screen along with HIV test prior to working in the hospital

notice these are all things they would have liability with

not sure on the cholesterol and BS measurement - can't see how that is any of their business - can't see how it would be illegal though...

goes to the question of why the heck so they care? Why spend money like that?

Archived