Prospective PA: what are my chances?

You certainly have a chance of being accepted, but I do think that having a 1.97 GPA in your doctoral program will hurt you. When you apply to PA school generally if you have completed graduate level coursework successfully, they look at that as evidence that you would be able to complete a rigorous PA curriculum. On the contrary, if you did poorly in graduate level coursework (without other extraneous circumstances), they may consider that evidence that you may have trouble in PA school. I would do all that you could to bring that up to a more respectable number, and then mention in a personal statement that the doctoral program wasn't right for you for X, Y, and Z reasons. Even just getting above a 2.0 looks much better than having a GPA with a 1 as the first digit. Given that you wouldn't be applying until next year, you still have the spring semester to bring that GPA up a bit. Most programs will also require more that 200 patient contact hours, though there are some that have no requirement. If you want to be able to apply broadly (even within the city), you should shoot for a minimum of 1,000 hours, and the more the better. You should research the schools in NYC online to get better information about exactly how many hours that they will require.

• 2 months later...

Archived