How did you take your pre-req's as an "older" student?

I made arrangements for my co workers to cover my shift (they got paid my wage for those hours), went to school on weekends, online, took vacation days...latest class I ever took started at 7 pm... Usually I worked my pre req schedule so that I was in school for 12plus hours two days a week, studying in between classes.

It was a pain in the backside...but worth it

Work 9-5, class from 6-10, studied after class and on weekends. I had to cut my work hours back some semesters because certain labs weren't offered in the evening, but I was fortunate to have a university near me that offered a lot of evening classes. It wasn't a glamorous lifestyle, but I wanted to become a PA bad enough so the long hours weren't a big issue for me.

I am not an older student, but in working full-time and taking prerequisites and other graduate level courses to make myself more competitive, I can relate. I work 8-430, then have class 5-10 two nights a week (each class is 2.5 hours and would this be 3 credits). I was able to manage with 4 classes/semester, studying on the weekends and evenings that I didn't have class, and usually taking one of the evenings per week off.

Some places you literally can't take certain courses at night or on weekends. Where I live, you could not work a 9-5 job and take the prerequisites....O chem, for example, is only offered during the day.

Might have to cut back on your hours or even (gulp) save up money, quit the job, and quickly finish your classes as fast as you can.

I haven't seen anybody mention online classes yet, either.

I have taken some completely online classes at UCLA Extension (which you could take anywhere in the nation), and I know that there is a very complete listing of online class forums on a sticky on this board.

You might check it out, although make sure your institutions are accredited and that your schools will accept online classes, especially online sciences.

But, worth a shot. Might be easier to manage than making it to a university to put your butt in a seat.

Like ktcan, I too have been taking some online classes and have found them immensely helpful. I'll take the lab sections in a classroom/brick-and-mortar setting. And yes I know some schools wont accept online credits for lectures of prereq classes which I find rather baffling. 95% of the time when I have taken a prereq lecture class in person, the teachers just read straight from the powerpoints which are lifted 100%, word-for-word-, from the book. It feels like a colossal waste of time to rush from work, lengthen your commute, having to sort out family arrangements, and then sit in a lecture where the teacher adds nothing and spends most of the time spoon-feeding the students. The in-person labs I do like however as I appreciate a good kinesthetic component to learning.

When I can't find an online class, I'll usually manage to get an evening section. As you might expect I try to group classes (lecture+lab on the same day) so as to make the best use of my time and reduce the number of days I'm in school. The one caveat with online classes - aside from whether your prospective PA program will take them - is whether they have proctored exams. Some do and some don't - the classes I have taken all required me to come into school for several proctored exams/semester. If you take an online class outside your area, make sure you know their policy on this.

I am an "older" student with husband and kids also. It is very hard to do the pre-reqs and keep a full time 9-5 job, I had to make a change to part time work because most of the classes I need are held during the day. I also budget a lot, clip coupons, buy only things on sale and do WITHOUT a lot of the extras. (I go to the salon twice a year, do my own nails, wash my own car, etc,etc) It is doable, it just takes sacrifice, and hard work. But doesn't everything that is worthwhile?

I'm in NH...I've taken most pre-req's but still need 1 or 2, and a probably a few upper level science classes to boost gpa. I took some of the basics at night after work but there doesn't seem to be many options around here for night or weekend classes

Alliecat419: What part of NH are you in? I am in southern Vermont and have taken all of my pre-req's from here. I did a combination of cc, online and hybrid classes.Let me know where you are and I will see if I can come up with some suggestions. It is challenge but not impossible.

I'm in NH...I've taken most pre-req's but still need 1 or 2, and a probably a few upper level science classes to boost gpa. I took some of the basics at night after work but there doesn't seem to be many options around here for night or weekend classes

hi,hard to find NH applucants.I am in NH,too.Where did you take your pre reqs?

Alliecat419: What part of NH are you in? I am in southern Vermont and have taken all of my pre-req's from here. I did a combination of cc, online and hybrid classes.Let me know where you are and I will see if I can come up with some suggestions. It is challenge but not impossible.

hi ariel802, I am in Keene area. Are you in tge program now?

I took my prerequisites from University of New England. I work from 8:30a.m.-7:00p.m. so many evening classes at my local university would not be available for me to take due to my time constraints. The cost is my main hang up with UNE but so many PA programs do accept the prerequisites. I only ran into a few programs who didn't accept them which I think is silly since I did my labs on my own literally in my home. I'm just glad during chemistry that I didn't blow anything up! The great thing about it is that they are self-paced. I finished Microbiology in 8 weeks because I was in a bind and needed it done by December. I'm currently in my last class, Biochem, with them and I plan to have it done by the end of March and I just started last week. I can't speak enough about the convenience of it. I can still keep my full-time job and fit in the studying for a couple hours each night and take time off when I need to. Just need to be done before May because I have to have it done before PA school starts! :) Hence why I made a schedule to be done by the end of March so that I might have some downtime.

Here's a link to the courses offered through UNE's Post Bac classes

http://www.une.edu/com/online/

i had to quit my usual weekday job and found a job in a hospital working 12 hour nights on the weekends. that freed up my weekdays so i could take classes during the week, but mondays sure were rough! i also have a husband and kids and we've had to scrimp and save, and may personally keep the raman noodles company in business. :) i also always took summer classes which were more likely to be offered 1 day a week or crunched into 4 hectic weeks.

I'm surprised only one other in this thread moved back to mom's! I did that as well, although I see how that wouldn't work so easily if you're married and/or with kids. With the amount of classes I had to take, it would have taken entirely too long to do it while working full-time. I had also just lost my job, so that made the decision easier, lol!

Good to see a few other NH people! I'm in manchester, and I've taken a few classes at NHTI and Manchester CC but right I would need more upper level courses to boost my GPA. Thanks for the UNE link svonholten. I'd actually forgotten all about them. I know they're pricey, but they seem to have a good reputation for online classes if i remember right.

Moving back in with family unfortunately isn't an option as they don't live in New England, and I really couldn't support myself on significantly less than what I make now. I'll definitely look more into the UNE option, especially since they are somewhat local as well

Archived