Second-language proficiency a plus?

I am pre-PA and wanted to ask PAs out there what their opinions are about second-language proficiency (especially in Spanish) and if that is a sought-after trait when looking for jobs? Has that been a good selling point for anyone when interviewing for jobs? I am thinking of attending a program that is not well-known or highly ranked. But I figure if I have second language proficiency, dual MPH/PA degree, and good letters of rec -- would that go a long way? Or would it be better to attend a more well-known school period? I currently live in NC and am considering living and working in NC post-PA. Thanks!

All the studies done on this subject have shown that pt care is negatively impacted when a certified translator is not utilized. No matter how fluent a particular person might be. I'm not sure it will be a huge selling point other than to show you had the intelligence and drive to learn a second language. But even then only if you're pretty dang near fluent...

Well Spanish is my native language. I would imagine it would be a sought after ability in areas/cities with a high Hispanic population. I am just curious to learn more about others experience with it before making an assumption.

Your assumption is correct. Applicants should ask programs what % of the patient population seen on clinical rotations speaks Spanish or any other language. Sometimes translators are not available. The FQHCs and RHCs that programs like to use as clinical training sites may serve 90-100% Spanish speaking patients. There may or may not be instruction in Medical Spanish in the program curriculum. Oneal is correct, UCD and other California PA ADCOMs consider being bilingual a plus.

Spanish is my native language also, but I have had to study medical terminology in Spanish to work as a medical translator.

Just because you speak the language it does not mean that you know all the medical terminology or all the proper anatomy names.

If you ask a native English speaker what is a cholecystectomy, rhinorrhea, ischemia (etc, etc)........ would they know?

Archived