PA Interventional Radiology CAQ any interest?

Hello everyone

I have been an IR PA for nine years and a CVTS PA before that. I have enjoyed working in IR and learned a lot about Diagnostic Radiology along the way. I always felt like an outsider because I did not hold a Radiology credential. We do not have a CAQ for IR yet so I got my RVS to at least have some official documentation that I am capable of using ultrasound. Is anyone else interested in having a CAQ in IR?

Rachel Krackov, PA-C, RVS, Ph.D

Yes!! I am only pre-PA right now but I vacillated between PA programs and ultrasound for quite some time before realizing simply scanning patients without the ability to diagnose and treat would frustrate me. I would love to learn more about combining both disciplines.

• Administrator
I don't think primary care will ever have a caq. the concept of pa school is that every graduate can practice primary care.

Well, then how about a CAQ in derm, ortho, pain management, depression/anxiety, and birth control? That's what I've been learning as a new grad in primary care for the three months I've been doing this...

I don't think primary care will ever have a caq. the concept of pa school is that every graduate can practice primary care.

I did have an email conversation with either NCCPA or AAPA (can't remember which one) and they said that had looked at primary care - the issue is trying to level the playing field with DNP's ad keeping our standing in the medical fields.

I used to be against CAQ's but now that I have learned more and see them, I am all for them and wish they had one for primary care. Honetly this is where PA is going and likely is a good thing overall but we do loose some flexibility, however I do think it likely will minimally provide an increase in care delivery

I am also a fan of caq's( I was in the first group to take the em caq) but the question regarding primary care becomes if a new grad doesn't have a primary care caq what can they do? it's a catch 22 for the profession. that is why specialty caq's make sense to me but primary care do not. of course, just my opinion and I admit I could be wrong here...

honestly I think the days of "flexibility" are going by the wayside...if I wanted to switch to anything aside from primary care from em I wouldn't be credentialed to do anything....if I got a surgical job I would be worthless to a surgeon for probably 6 months to a year. why would they hire me for anything besides clinic, hospital admits and discharges and similar activities outside the o.r..

hospital credentialing committees, not sp's, decide what a specialty pa can do in the hospital....

2 examples:

a pa I work with has done thoracentesis > 200 times at a prior job(more than most docs on staff) but can't get credentialed to do it because he is "just a pa".

a pa I work with WHO IS AN ULTRASOUND TECH took over a yr to get credentialed to do u/s at our facility because ONE DOC on the credentialling committee ( a gi doc) feels "pa's shouldn't do u/s" and so it took over a yr to get this quack overruled by other docs who wanted my colleague to get credenitalled.....

In my opinion

As we estabish ourselves outside of our SP's (as this point we have relied on our SP's tto fight our battles for us, stand up to credentialing and say PA Joe CAN and SHOULD do this procedure.....) we need to have a tiered system for clinical responsiblity.

First Tier is the new grad (After one year of internship) they are good basic clinicians but still need supervision

Second tier - after a few years you have more flexibilitly and scope

Third Tier - 5 or 10 years of practice in your speciality, passing CAQ - much less supervision, basically collaboration with a doc, but fully recognized for what we do and are. We need to be voting members of the medical staff and sitting on the credentialing and other boards at the hospitals...

As for CAQ in primary care - it is the one thing we have to level the playing field to DNP and push non medical people to see our value - ie congress to allow us more ability to sign forms and practice at the level we are trained to and our experience dictates not rather a single GI doc on credentialing thinks "PA's should not do U/S"

• 2 years later...

Archived