What would you do?

I am going back and forth on this decision and I would so love any input from you! I know this comes down to a personal decision but I’d love to hear what you would do if you were in my shoes.

Background info:

-Graduated in 2008 with BA in Psych, I’ve taken all of the pre-req’s post bac with the exception of Genetics, Gen Chem II and Biochem

-All pre req’s were above a B+, with the exception of GenChem C+, and Orgo: C (chemistry is not strong suit) and statistics I took in my undergrad years and got a: C

-I have over 2000 hours of awesome HCE

-and regardless of what I do...I will still probably be hovering around a cGPA of 3.0

Going forward, my two options:

1. Stay where I am, cut down to part time at my job (which I love) and take as many classes as I can online. I do ok w/ online learning but I don’t learn the material the same way I probably would in a classroom.
  2. Move 3000 miles away for 5 months and take advanced science, in person at UC Berekely. They offer Biochem, Immunology, Virology, Cell Biology, Hematology..

Other then my job I really have no ties to the area I’m in now and I can always return at the end of the semester and resume my job.

What would you do?!

option 1 if it was me.....but would take courses at a local community college around your work hrs...option 2 is a huge expense and the return to your gpa won't be worth the expense (you will also not be working, making income, and adding hce hrs during that time)

Why do you have to take them at UC Berkeley?

I personally wouldn't take any of those classes online. Just me though.

I took stats online and felt it was a good experience but only because there was no local convenient alternative. I much prefer the interaction of sitting in a classroom.

@EMEDPA - thanks! unfortunately, my local CC doesn't offer any advanced sciences except for Genetics and it's only slightly more expensive to take them at Berkeley. CC is over $200 a credit. Yes, I would have to find some pt job out there.. I agree, I like the interaction of the classroom.

@benny32311 - coincidently Berkeley offers all these classes under one roof. And these are classes I would take in person; hence my considering moving out there.

Do you think it would have any positive effect on my application? Possibly show determination?

I would definitely choose option 2.

Here's why.

1. IMO, online classes are not "safe" yet, as many schools are not fond of them/wont accept them.

2. I have taken all of those classes except hemo and I wouldn't trade that background for anything!!

3. Your GPA may not be helped by taking these classes but the schools should value that breadth of knowledge. Many of those classes are not required but recommended by many programs.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!! :=D:

Since most of those courses are not "required" by many programs (with the exception of biochem which many of them are very accepting of the UC Berkeley course as well as UNE...which also has quite a few courses you could take as well) I would go with option 1.

I have taken MANY of my science courses online and have not caught flack from too many programs, especially the ones that are not pre-reqs....all you have to do is ask the programs you are interested in, especially if it is a pre-req course.

HCE is just as important as coursework and finding a new job upon moving can be hard, if you have a job gaining HCE, keep it and accumulate it and take courses locally or online.

As someone who has taken many courses online, as with any course you are only going to take away what you want to. Programs like UCB and UNE make you take proctored exams, there's no using notes or books, you have to know it or you dont pass. Many people take general psych online and think every online class is cake and cookies.....unless your professor is Betty Crocker, be prepared to work hard.

While taking additional science courses may help boost your overall science GPA, you might want to consider some health science courses (epidemiology, healthcare ethics, healthcare delivery systems, healthcare law, medical terminology). Courses like these show a true interest in the other aspect of healthcare, tend to be more informative and less technical than sciences, easily found at the CC level so they are cheaper, "easier" to get a higher grade in, "easier" to take multiple courses at the same time, easily found online....you know what.....I could go on and on. I would take (I actually have taken) these courses before taking most of the courses you listed.

Unless you have some other ties to California, I'd go with option 1. And I would take a look at the schools you want to apply to and email them now about how they feel about online courses. I took UNE's Medical Physiology and every school I applied to was okay with it. Just_Me has a great point too...that course was much different (more difficult) than any online community college course I've taken (and I've taken a lot).

I think the dedication comes in when you show that you are truly interested in healthcare as a whole by going above and beyond the requirements. I also think that for non-prereq courses theres less concern about your "time" spent in a classroom and more focus on the variety of what you take.

You know...I use to believe that, but I can't bring myself to suggest applying with any pre-reqs in progress (although the OP said these arent pre-reqs) after a program told us during interviews that it was ok, but later (after being rejected) when I called to follow up on the rejection, the main reason was because I had things in progress....I mean really? I could have saved that gas money had they tossed my app in the first place, or better yet, stated that you could not have things in progress:ohnoes:

Oh well...not all programs are the same though

PS I think the OP may be planning to apply next cycle which doesnt open till late spring (if everything still flows the same), so if they start classes in Jan, they should be done by the time the new CASPA app opens. You do all you can, with the time you have to make yourself look good:wink:

What is stopping you from applying now? At most schools you can have a few pre-reqs outstanding at the time of application. Is there a reason you haven't applied yet? I would say there are plenty of schools that will not be too bothered by a 3.0 gpa if the rest of your stats/application are strong. Always worth a shot.

Archived