Is it worth it to take the NCLEX-RN exam before starting PA school?

Hi all,

Im in my final year of nursing school and will be receiving my BSN degree in nursing this coming May. I recently got accepted to my top PA school and the program starts this summer in late May/early June. I'm just wondering whether or not I should take the NCLEX-RN exam (nursing licensure exam) prior to starting PA school. I went through all 4 years of nursing school and it would be a waste for me not to take the exam and have the RN title after my name. However, I dont think I will be practicing nursing in the future once I start PA school, and the cost associated with the exam, as well as the time and commitment I have to put into studying for the exam. Is it worth it? Please advise. Thank you.

Do it.

My 2nd PANRE was due this year. We have to recert every 6 yr as PAs.

I'm an M2 now...my prof was wondering why I bothered recerting when I would be a DO in 2014...I told him my cardinal rule in life is to ALWAYS have a backup plan.

If I let my PA-C lapse I wouldn't be able to maintain my license and work part-time these last 18 mos of school, which has been a financial godsend.

Archived