Is Cell Biology necessary for Genetics course?

For those of you who have taken a Genetics course, did Principles of Cell Biology (or whatever your Cell Biology course is called) really prepare you for Genetics or do you feel like one can go into the class without taking Cell Biology? It is not a required pre-req for Genetics at my University. Thank you!

Taking Genetics without Cell Biology you can definitely do. But in my option Cell Biology will help as you will know your cell cycles in and out, DNA structures will be very familiar (histones and such) and basic cell signalling to activate genes will be under your belt to name a few things. If you are very familiar with concept such as these I would go ahead and take genetics. For me, Genetics was considered the hardest course for a Biology major at my university with Cell Biology not far behind, so for me it was to my advantage to take Cell Biology first.

As long as Cell Bio isn't a prerequisite for Genetics at your school, you can get by without it for your Genetics class. Worse case, you can review the phases of mitosis and meiosis from another website. Your Genetics textbook and class powerpoint notes should help you decipher most of the topics discussed, though.

It's not required at my University either and the teacher told me I may be a little behind students who have taken it, but that if I am a motivated learner then I should have no problem getting through the class. I am taking it this next semester without having taking cell bio first, so I will let you know!

I took Genetics without Cell Bio and didn't have any problems. We did cover the basics of mitosis, meiosis, etc. in A&P I, though, so it helped that I was familiar with that. I think there is plenty of supplemental information available on the internet if you come across something you are unsure of, I know I have had to do that a number of times!

Archived