Online Class Advice - UC San Diego Extension Courses

Anyone know if UC San Diego extension courses ( https://extension.ucsd.edu/courses-and-programs/biochemistry) count towards most PA school pre-requisites. I need to take Biochemistry and Genetics over the summer. First time applicant and these would be my two in-progress courses. 

UC San Diego's prices are pretty good from what I see. Unfortunately most schools that I e-mailed regarding pre-requisites say they can't provide info on if the course would satisfy their requirements at this time.

Otherwise does anyone have suggestions for where I could take online classes that count towards most schools but still affordable? Currently out of work due to COVID-19.

Any help is appreciated!

• 4 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 10:21 PM, Finntastic said:

I’ve taken several courses with UCSD extension, and so far I’ve had no issue with them being accepted. Biochemistry wasn’t too bad, and I have no idea what their genetics class is like.

Hi There!  I'm considering taking Biochemistry, Immunology, Chem 1 & 2 through UCSD extension.  How are the classes?  What are the exams like?  About how many hours per week did you invest for each class?  Any tips will be greatly appreciated. thanks! 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2020 at 1:52 PM, JuliaC said:

Hi There!  I'm considering taking Biochemistry, Immunology, Chem 1 & 2 through UCSD extension.  How are the classes?  What are the exams like?  About how many hours per week did you invest for each class?  Any tips will be greatly appreciated. thanks! 🙂

I’m thinking about taking chem 1 with them in January. I know you posted this back in September, have you taken any of the courses yet?

On 12/3/2020 at 1:29 PM, aeabela said:

I’m thinking about taking chem 1 with them in January. I know you posted this back in September, have you taken any of the courses yet?

Hello!  Not yet.  I actually signed up for Chem 1 and Immunology through Doane University.  I'm considering Biochem through UCSD.  

• 3 months later...

I just started Chem I at UCSD Extension and it seems really easy. I'm actually worried I'm not going to learn enough. The class started Monday and I was done with all assignments (homework, quiz, discussion forum, graphing assignment, lab) by Tuesday. It was only about 2 hours of work. Also, the teacher is a little sloppy. I answered two quiz questions correctly but they were marked incorrect. I reached out the teacher and she fixed it but I'm worried this is going to happen throughout the course. The lab kit was $280. 

I think the UC Berkeley Extension classes are better but UCSD is cheaper. DON'T do University of New England. It's super expensive, the lectures are 10 minutes long and the workload is at least 20 hours/week. Their refund policy is terrible. I dropped it in the first week due to the lack of instruction and only got 40% of $1,500 back. Good luck!

@ChloeFranny

I took Biochem through UCSD and need to take an additional chem as mine from undergrad is >10 years old. Would you mind sharing a little more information about the class? I’m specifically wondering about the format? Is there a final exam or is it your grade just composed of homework, weekly quizzes, and lab reports? Also, are the quizzes/exams open book and open note? Thank you in advance!!

Hello,

I took chem/lab 1 at UCSD ext with Dr. Tam. She seems like she has no idea what she is talking about. Her lectures are very badly done. She constantly makes mistakes during her talk. The chemistry level is very low. You will not learn much. The assignments are all over the place as well.

Now, I am taking chem 2/Lab with Dr. Zajac. What a dramatic change! You would love her class. The chemistry concepts are well explained and the assignments are very interesting. She makes you think and she wants you to learn chemistry from different perspectives. Moreover, she is very helpful and fully engaged in the class. I truly recommend her course. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2021 at 3:35 PM, Junebug0405 said:

@ChloeFranny

I took Biochem through UCSD and need to take an additional chem as mine from undergrad is >10 years old. Would you mind sharing a little more information about the class? I’m specifically wondering about the format? Is there a final exam or is it your grade just composed of homework, weekly quizzes, and lab reports? Also, are the quizzes/exams open book and open note? Thank you in advance!!

Hi! I 'm considering biochem or organic chem at UCSD. Did you take biochem after taking organic? I have the option to take biochem instead of organic and I'm strongly considering it. How hard would you describe the course to be?

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, aeabela said:

I ended up taking Chem 1 last quarter and just started Chem 2 this quarter through UCSD extension. Overall the class was not very demanding. You have 1 quiz due every week, a discussion board due by Friday, a chapter assignment which just helps you review that weeks material, 1-2 labs that are not necessarily hard but can be a little time consuming, and usually she would throw in one smaller assignment based on that chapter. There is a cumulative final but it is pretty straight forward and similar to the quizzes. It seems like so far chem 2 is a similar format

I am considering UCSD extension for Chem I. Are the quizzes and final exam proctored? Thanks in advance!

On 4/9/2021 at 6:49 PM, Lucja1225 said:

Hello,

I took chem/lab 1 at UCSD ext with Dr. Tam. She seems like she has no idea what she is talking about. Her lectures are very badly done. She constantly makes mistakes during her talk. The chemistry level is very low. You will not learn much. The assignments are all over the place as well.

Now, I am taking chem 2/Lab with Dr. Zajac. What a dramatic change! You would love her class. The chemistry concepts are well explained and the assignments are very interesting. She makes you think and she wants you to learn chemistry from different perspectives. Moreover, she is very helpful and fully engaged in the class. I truly recommend her course. 

I just signed up for chem 1 at UCSD extension. I am curious if the exams are proctored or if they are open note? Also, if they are open note/book, did you have enough time to look up answers? Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...