Hi Everyone -

I am trying to create some specialty-related "top ten" lists for clinical rotations. I know there are a ton of emergency medicine PAs on here. A student is coming to rotate with you for a month. What would you say are the top 5-10 skills/competencies/misc that they must have learned by the end of their time with you?

I suppose that largely depends upon what kind of ER rotation you have. During PA school, my ER rotation had me exclusively in the fast track. A classmate of mine was doing strictly trauma, so there will be great variation in not only what you exposed to, but what is expected of you.

But speaking from a generic ER rotation perspective, you should be able to cast (sugar tong, short arm, short leg, posterior, thumb-spica, etc) and suture. After that, I think it's very dependent upon your rotation. I&D as well.

But speaking from a generic ER rotation perspective, you should be able to cast (sugar tong, short arm, short leg, posterior, thumb-spica, etc) and suture. After that, I think it's very dependent upon your rotation. I&D as well.

Well...if that's the case, my family practice rotation will have me up to speed before I even get to the ER.

I am speaking out of turn, as I am not an ER PA but I think "sick or not sick" decision making ability in a very short amount of time is quite valuable.

off the top of my head and by no means a complete list:

read ekg's, cxr's, plain films

fb removal eye/ear/nose

suturing; basic and intermediate level(layers) including ears, lips, nose, etc

tonometry, slit lamp use

I+D abscess

good working knowledge of eval/management of sob, chest pain, abd pain (male and female)

know how to place foley cath

management of minor ortho issues and splinting

know how to work with sick small kids, elderly who are demented, and psych pts who are out of control

minor fx and dislocation reduction(fingers, toes, shoulders, boxers fx, etc)

dental blocks

lumbar puncture

std eval and management(male/female)

management of ingrown toenails

pelvic exams

eval of pregnancy related emergent problems

for the more adv. folks: eval and management of trauma and critical pts, tox emergencies (o.d.'s)

management of dka

Archived