Does it really matter which program I go to? ARC-PA provisional status

First post here. Some history about me is that I've been working towards PA for about 7 years or so, currently an EMT and CNA. As far as pre-requisites go I have more than enough of all the pre-requisites and then some. My only weakness application wise is that I have a BA under 3.0GPA, and my cumulative GPA is around 3.10. I reviewed all 170 programs thru ARC-PA do determine which programs I qualify for so I am very well aware of all the various requirements for PA programs. I applied last year and got one interview but no acceptance so now I'm in the application period again this year. I have started getting interview offers now which means flying around the country and spending lots of money with no guarantee of acceptance. One school I'm going to interview for is a new program and has a provisional status that will be reviewed within the period of when I would be attending. Is this an issue? Should I worry about the ARC-PA status or is it no big deal? I know that if you start a program and it goes bust your classes and credits are worth nothing and you are back to zero. Knowing this, my second question is that since I am a well rounded but not necessary the strongest applicant GPA wise should I just go for any and all programs and just get in wherever I can?

The program's provisional status doesn't really make any difference. In order to be eligible to take the PANCE, the program needs to be accredited at the time the student enters. Even if the program were to lose it's accreditation (unlikely but possible) you would be protected. Don't confuse this with the institution losing its regional accreditation - a whole different thing. I would look closely at the reputation of the school in which the program is located and the educational experience of the folks running the program. Bottom line - go wherever you are accepted.

Accreditation, provisional or otherwise, means the ARC-PA feels that the program has met its requirements on paper so that is not the concern. The concern for you should be whether this untested program will provide you with the education that you need to be successful in clinicals, pass the PANCE, and become a successful PA. I would personally be hesitant to attend a program that hasn't graduated a class(and therefore has no published PANCE pass rate) but would likely still go if it was my only acceptance.

Just my opinion... but if it were my only option, I'd go. If I had an offer from a school that had graduated a few classes, and had a good PANCE pass rate, I'd lean toward that one. However, it all depends on the program itself. Do a lot of research. Ultimately I believe you could have the best program in the world, but YOUR success is not guaranteed, you still are accountable for yourself. You get out of any program what you put into it.

I actually had the choice to go to a school that had a provisional status or another that was still fairly new, but had gained full accreditation. You have to go with which program is the best fit for you. I had gained acceptance to the fully accredited school first, but it was 9 hours away from home and a larger class size than what I was wanting. The other program that will most likely receive full accreditation after their visit in September 2013 had a much smaller class size and was only 2.5 hours away. I chose the closer school, but for more reasons than listed here and I would suggest getting a feel for their possible rotation sites, getting patient contact through a mentoring program and there was several unique qualities about the program that sold me on taking a chance on the program that has provisional accredidation. Like the person said above me, ultimately you get out what you put into it, but the interview is not only for them to see if you would be a good fit for the program, but also if you feel that the program is a good fit for you.

Your investing alot of resources into this adventure for the next two years, go where you feel the most comfortable.

Yeah the program hasn't even had the first class graduate so no pance stats so that's kind of an unknown. If it's the only program I get an offer for I'd definitely accept. Still just at interview stage so I guess I'll have to wait for offers before I have to seriously consider these things. I just remember somewhere in my research I read that classes care not transferable between pa programs.

• 2 weeks later...

If nothing else it will give you experience interviewing for PA school. You could also look at other graduate or professional programs at this school...are they successful and do they have a good reputation. I don't think you have to worry too much about a new school not making it but I did read about a PA school in West Virginia that lost its accreditation and it was not a new PA school, but I think it was because the whole university lost its accreditation. Another new PA school in the area has been ask to take on the students from the other school, so I wouldn't worry too much about a new school. They keep a pretty good eye on them so they will succeed.

Archived