Looking for online A&P Class

My unsolicited advice:

a). a 5 credit a&P class?? that would be a TON of work.. maybe it's just me, but I've never seen A&P worth more than 4 credits. My general chemistry classes where 5 credits and they were the DEVIL...

b). A&P is a very involved (and extremely interesting) subject.. I would think it would be very difficult to take online and get what you needed to out of it - especially if you have to take a 5 credit class. It's not "hard" the way that Chem is hard (for me) but it's tons of work and more memorizing than you can believe.. until you get to PA school and realize how much more you need to know than what you learned in undergrad.

My point is, you would probably be better off taking it in person if you can, because it's actually extremely important and you WILL need to know it for PA school and when you practice. I can't think of a single undergrad class that better prepared me for PA school than my excellent anatomy class. I would switch out any other class to not take in person and leave anatomy if it were me. Anyway, just my two cents.

See if there's a school that will let you do a capstone project in addition to a 4 unit A&P course. Some schools will allow you to pay for 1 extra unit in addition to the class for a capstone. If you're in Southern California there is a weekend only x 4 weekend A&P class (4 units w/ lab) that you can add a 1 unit capstone paper to. See if there's any programs near you that offer the same type of course.

I took A&P online from Arapahoe Community College in Colorado. It was 4 hours per course; I took I&II. There is a lab - you buy the laboratory packet and microscope (it is expensive), and you do the labs at home. I dissected all sorts of things on my kitchen table.

However, caveat emptor:

1. What GatorRRT says above is true. Check with the schools you want to make sure they'll accept online prereqs. Some won't accept any, some accept the lecture but not the lab, and some accept the whole thing. In my case, it was my only option because of being overseas with the military. But I may have to re-take the laboratory parts when I return to the States, as a few of my preferred schools won't accept online labs.

2. Know thyself. Are you someone who sets his/her own deadlines and motivates yourself? Are you motivated enough to study above what the course requires to memorize the various body parts and functions? Have you ever done self-study or online courses before? Or are you someone who functions better in a traditional class? Being one or the other isn't good or bad. It's just a function of personality and personal learning style. I would NOT make A&P your first-ever online course. Don't do that to yourself.

3. It will be expensive, and it will limit your school choices. I paid more for the online A&P course than I would have for a comparable course from a traditional school. And I will have to either re-take the lab or the whole class to have all PA schools consider me. So it has limited my choices of schools...or made getting in that much more expensive.

Just so you are aware. If I had had any other option, I would have opted for the more traditional class, just for flexibility in school choices.

Do not cut yourself short. It isn't just whether a particular school will accept the online course or not. You have to master A&P in order to comprehend the diseases you will study.

You will not learn the physiology unless you KNOW anatomy. Furthermore, A&P is the basis for patho. Most PA's remember those Pathophysiology midterms! Ask around, patho is a challenging course for even the most studious of PA students. I still remember succeeding through microbiology, organic chemistry, physics, etc during undergrad. But then there is Pathophys; you must have a very strong knowledge base and comprehension of the physiology of the human body to pass pathopys, which in turn is the basis for what we do.

If you have to make arrangements to your schedule, do so. My personal opinion is not to take this course online. There is a reason why PA schools accept a sociology course online, but prefer this course in the classroom.

• 1 month later...

There are plenty of schools (out of 150+) that will accept anatomy online, you just have to ask. Hell there are some that don't even require it

Anywho, just like with on campus courses....you get out exactly what you put in. Simply being online doesnt mean you learn less or that the class is easy...it's the professors that decide that. If you have proctored exams, be certain that you better know your crap before you walk in there or you will fail miserably. I still have yet to see a huge difference between online and classroom learning personally, but to each his/her own.

As for a 5 credit A&P....so far all I have seen is either 4 credits A&P I and 4 credits A&P II (if you go this route you MUST take both for any program to accept it, if you only take 1 well you only know half of what you should) OR Anatomy 4 credits and Physiology 4 credits. The only 5 credit anatomy courses I have seen so far are dissection anatomy and well those definitely are not online

Anywho, check the sticky....someone may have posted something.

Archived