DOT, Startling lack of education

So I in a group of NRCME for DOT exams

It has amazed me to no end what some of the questions Chiro's are coming up with.  Stuff that is basic pharm or pathophys they are stumped on.

Makes me wonder, in my state they are "physicians"

Their schooling is about the same length as PA (6-7 semesters) and they do not have a residency... yet they are physicians....

And the fact they are lacking so much in the pathophys and pharma realm is alarming.....

BTW I refer to chiro all the time and even go to one myself so I am not against them, just amazed at the fact they are allowed to certify DOT drivers when it is clearly outside their training.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Really?  You are amazed by this?  Many people solely go to “choirpractors” for all their medical problems.  I mean look at YouTube, the numbers of these people getting views vs real medical professionals getting views.

The chiropractor lobby is huge.  Look at ours.  We are still squabbling over our name for crying out loud.  
So I’m not surprised at all.  My state (il) has a nice spread about updating the il practice act with a link that goes nowhere.  The chiropractic society page, on the other hand, LOADS of information about billing, how to read radiology reports, etc- and these links work.

i agree they shouldn’t be included in situations that requires a real medical opinion, but they are.  Because people think they work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just took the recertification test to be an NRCME (National Registry Certified Medical Examiners).

While I passed without studying, I thought the test was overall horrible.  I wonder who they hire to come up with these questions, and how they determine what is and is not important.  

• Upvote 1

My DOT examiner cert expires ---------- about now. I have no intention of ever renewing it.

Not a chiropractor fan personally or professionally. Taught at an Osteopathic Medical/PA School and much more in tune with OMT vs chiro.

No clue whatsoever as to who and how chiros were certified for DOT. Just zero understanding.

Should not be allowed. At all. 

Does not make me feel safe knowing the semi next to me might be a chiro certified driver. 

• Like 1

I still remember two encounters involving chiros:

A. Tibial plateau fx who was a chiro who stopped coming for appointments and decided to monitor his own fx healing with his own X-rays.

B. The pt's husband requested that I speak to their chiro son about the pt's hip fx and surgery because they said he knows about hip fx and surgery. 

• Confused 1