Athena Price Hike, looking for alternative EMR

6m in on Athena and I got an email they need to "review the contract"

On sign up they strongly encouraged and to give my best high estimate on revenue, promising it meant nothing and would not be used against me.   Now I am getting emails that they need to "talk about my contact" and they have not been able to deliver on the promised connections to my local monopoly system.   So back in the market for EMR

This time I seriously considering figuring out how to direct bill to medicare as a provider so just need and EMR and E-scribing...

Anyone have any experience with this???

• Administrator
On 4/12/2024 at 4:33 AM, TWR said:

Can you elaborate a little bit on Charm and Jane???  Thank you.

Charm is a supposedly turnkey web-based operation that I've not used personally, but a former SP uses for a side gig doing a few patients a week and it's VERY reasonably priced, per her.

Jane is a Canadian product whose primary users seem to be small, independent practices like chiropractors, massage therapists, and mental health therapists. It's web-based, handles insurance billing reasonably well with clearinghouse ($100 extra per month, worth it), and it will automatically assess your license needs and bill you accordingly for part- or full-time licenses. I'm paying $135/month for the insurance plan with 1.5 clinician licenses.  The only thing I really don't like about it is it sucks and handling external documents: You can upload them, but not manipulate them, rename/reorder them, or even sort them. As such, I keep a Dropbox account for managing documents. Oh, e-Rx is not included in Jane, but apparently Charm has it. I'm using MDToolbox, which does have a way to export/import patient lists, but it doesn't let me e.g., re-export a med list from MDToolbox back to Jane.

Jane doesn't try to be medicare-compliant, and so has zero alerts and dialog boxes... unless YOU tell it to stop you if you haven't completed a field, is highly customizable, has its own built-in telemedicine platform (I dropped from the professional tier of Doxy.me after most of my patients got used to it). The billing/coding part of it is simple enough if you're used to doing your own coding, although there is always a learning curve.