Payment for Precepting

Payment for Precepting  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is your view on requesting compensation from a school to serve as a preceptor?

• Acceptable
    • Despicable
    • Neutral

On 3/8/2024 at 10:35 AM, Ty2PA said:

I don't think it's selfish to ask for fair payment for increased work. The vast majority of preceptors are not paid faculty; workload increases regardless of how "good" the student is. They still need to be supervised and information about pts verified; physical exams redone to a certain degree, results of evaluations discussed and further education on the nuance of a specialty that PA school doesn't address. Part of how preceptor workflow is affected depends on the specialty and average volume of pts seen.

House of God put it well: "Show me a BMS (Best Medical Student) who only triples my work and I will kiss his feet."

I'm all for limiting payment to established preceptors who have a track-record of excellence, and newer preceptors must demonstrate this before qualifying for pay (to show the student is getting value out of the rotation). BUT, the education/healthcare professions have exploited clinicians into giving out freebies in the name of professionalism/honoring the past/whatever you want to call it. There's a trade in goods/services here; our knowledge and experience (once verified) should be recognized beyond a "hey thanks." 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Apollo1 said:

I get the joke, but that’s faulty logic. Little Leaguers aren’t in professional training.

Yeah, but it's my time, and my time is worth something. I spent a long time playing and learning skills, paying for private lessons, etc. 

And being an EMS volunteer? Suckers! Forget that, show me the money!

• Haha 1

For you folks who regularly precept students, how long do you think a PA should be in practice before he or she starts taking on students?  How much expertise or experience is necessary to be an effective preceptor?  I would like to precept at some point (whether paid or unpaid), but I've only been practicing for a couple of years and feel like I still have a lot to learn.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aunt Val said:

For you folks who regularly precept students, how long do you think a PA should be in practice before he or she starts taking on students?  How much expertise or experience is necessary to be an effective preceptor?  I would like to precept at some point (whether paid or unpaid), but I've only been practicing for a couple of years and feel like I still have a lot to learn.

I think two years is good. Personally, having students helped me learn even more and in more ways than one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SedRate said:

I think two years is good. Personally, having students helped me learn even more and in more ways than one. 

Agree- I had my first students year 3 into practice. 2 would have been fine. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...