Zoom Interview Attire

I'm an Emergency Medicine PA finishing up my 20th year in the Navy with retirement on the horizon.  I put out some feelers with a recruiter when I saw a job opening in the area where I own a home and plan on moving back to. Things progressed very quickly over a day or two, with my CV bouncing around between a couple of recruiters, an HR person, and a medical director.  I was asked if I could take a call with the medical director, despite the time difference (I'm overseas).  I happily agreed to this, kind of thinking it would be a pretty informal affair.   Now suddenly I have an invite for a "Zoom Video Interview" and I'm freaking out a little because suddenly it sounds much more serious.

The interview itself doesn't worry me so much.  I'm pretty comfortable talking about myself, my skills and experience, and I'm confident that I have a lot to bring to the table.  I doubt money will come up this early, but I'm prepared to ask for the top of the advertised salary range.  I think what worries me the most, as silly as it sounds, is what do I wear to this thing?  What is the current etiquette for civilian job interviews in our field?  And is it more relaxed on Zoom?  I'm going to be getting up for an interview at 4:00 AM my time, and I'm going to feel kind of silly wearing a suit and tie (no pants, of course, lol) in my room in the middle of the night, especially if the guy on the other end is in scrubs.  But obviously I don't want to look like a slob, either.  I'm so used to being told what to wear for the last 20 years that now I don't know what to do, lol.  Help!

• Like 1

Not silly, I wondered the same thing when I had my first Zoom interview. I wear a suit and treat it like a traditional interview. People on the other end have been in a mix of attire ranging from scrubs to business casual with white coat to suit and tie. Some interviewers don't use their video at all. Regarding formalness, most of mine have been formal.

My experience: one was one team member at a time for four hours ranging from admin assistant to regional director. Others had numbers ranging from two to 15 interviewers. Another had four interviewers with no one showing their video.

My advice: be prepared for anything like a traditional interview and dress professionally. Although I'll admit I didn't wear dress pants for a couple of them 🙂

Good luck!

Edited by SedRate
  • Like 1

in the civilian world always overdress for the interview.  It shows you are serious.

Having said that you are a HOT commodity and should have companies falling all over themselves to hire you.

In the private sector the ONLY time you have negotiation power is before hire.  I would let people more versed in ED medicine pay to pipe in but you are likely in the 175-200k/year range (and you deserve it!)  but their are a TON O COMPANIES that will promise you the world for 120k and crap schedule which will then turn to crap after hire.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you all for the advice.  I wore a suit - I'm glad I brought one with me to my current location overseas.  The interview seemed to go very well.  I'm expecting an offer later this week, but it could fall through just based on the timing (I'm still transitioning from active duty and am not available to start immediately).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Most EM offers are for an hourly rate - which is usually site specific.  The benefits are usually set for the company, only the rate varies.  That rate is most often a function of how hard it is to staff the site, not of the qualifications of the individual.  Sites in bigger more desirable cities often pay less, just because more folks want to live & work there.  I get 25-33% more by being willing to travel to rural critical access hospitals vs working in the larger cities near where I live.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to close the loop.  Finally got a formal offer this morning, which I accepted.  The delay I think had more to do with my availability to start (I'm still months away from military retirement) than anything else.  The medical director told me I was a 9/10 candidate, the 1-point ding because I can't start right away!

Thanks everyone for your input.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1