Next steps after passing PANCE

Found out I passed my PANCE about a week ago and have a job lined up for me in New York starting in September. However, was reading some things online in regards to licensing and am slightly confused since our program did not do a good job of next steps after passing the PANCE. Many people recommended this as a resource: https://www.thepalife.com/practicing-pa-resources/ 

I notice that it mentions "become nationally certified." I understand that this mainly just involves passing the PANCE. However, when I log in to NCCPA website it states that I need to "log credits." Aside from just passing the PANCE, was there something else I had to submit in order to officially apply for a national license? I have already applied for my state license at this point, but am wondering if I am missing anything else? Seems like DEA website is down at the moment.

No such thing as a national license.

Certification is your “C” for passing NCCPA.

Keep NCCPA by earning CME every 2 years, logging it, paying NCCPA, rinse, repeat.

EVERY 10 years, take NCCPA PANRE.

STATE license, nothing national. But most states require CME to keep license and some have specific requirements like Washington state has Suicide Training requirements and now DEA requires CME.

It all adds up and goes in the same pot.

Yes, you have to have a valid state license (and valid prescribing authority for controlled substances - in some states this is 2 separate things) before you can apply for a DEA # for that state.  The good news is that the DEA is pretty quick, typically less than 2 weeks, in providing the DEA #, and the application is all online.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 5:30 AM, ohiovolffemtp said:

Yes, you have to have a valid state license (and valid prescribing authority for controlled substances - in some states this is 2 separate things) before you can apply for a DEA # for that state.  The good news is that the DEA is pretty quick, typically less than 2 weeks, in providing the DEA #, and the application is all online.

Do you know if New York happens to be one of the states where valid prescribing authority for controlled substances is separate? I have been trying to google this, but it does not state anything like this definitively. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, constantlyeating said:

Do you know if New York happens to be one of the states where valid prescribing authority for controlled substances is separate? I have been trying to google this, but it does not state anything like this definitively. Thanks in advance!

Have you contacted your employer for help with this? They should be helping you.