TUFTS 2023-2024

2 hours ago, FuturePA13579 said:

Hey all again, just wondering if anyone knows what it might look like as the application cycle is closing down. Towards mid-end of September, I'm sure there will be decline and waitlist letters coming out. But does anyone know if at that time, there are acceptances sent out or by that time are seats practically all filled? 

I don’t have a good answer for you, but I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed has already gotten a rejection? Or are they saving them all to the end? 

Hey, y'all, for those of you who have already interviewed, can you tell me how soon you heard back?

I know we have seen lots of acceptances about a week after an interview here in the forum, but do they also send out rejections or waitlists simultaneously? Has anyone who interviewed a while ago not heard back yet? Given the January start date, I am a little more anxious than other schools.

I interviewed last Wednesday, and given the four-day weekend, I am trying not to get my hopes up about hearing this next week.

1 hour ago, Chaoticscissortail said:

Hey, y'all, for those of you who have already interviewed, can you tell me how soon you heard back?

I know we have seen lots of acceptances about a week after an interview here in the forum, but do they also send out rejections or waitlists simultaneously? Has anyone who interviewed a while ago not heard back yet? Given the January start date, I am a little more anxious than other schools.

I interviewed last Wednesday, and given the four-day weekend, I am trying not to get my hopes up about hearing this next week.

I interviewed mid-July and I’ve heard nothing. 🙁

1 hour ago, Chaoticscissortail said:

they’ve been calling about acceptances around a week after interviews. i interviewed 6/28 and the following weekend was the 4th of july so i also thought there might be delays but someone on here posted their acceptance a week after that interview! afaik, no rejections or waitlists sent out so far. also not sure if anyone’s been accepted who was a dual degree applicant either

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FuturePA2627 said:

they’ve been calling about acceptances around a week after interviews. i interviewed 6/28 and the following weekend was the 4th of july so i also thought there might be delays but someone on here posted their acceptance a week after that interview! afaik, no rejections or waitlists sent out so far. also not sure if anyone’s been accepted who was a dual degree applicant either

Thank you - fingers crossed we all hear good news soon. 

2 minutes ago, FuturePA2324 said:

Via email? I haven’t received an interview yet and assumed I’d be rejected without one, but haven’t gotten any communication from tufts yet

Correct, this is what it said:

Thank you for applying to the Physician Assistant Program at Tufts University. At this time, our admissions cycle is complete. This was another highly competitive application cycle and unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview this cycle.

We created the following to assist you with questions regarding this decision. The data below is for informational purposes only, as we are unable to provide individualized feedback on applications.

Getting into a Physician Assistant program is a competitive process, and we hope that this will provide insight into our current admission requirements. The Tufts PA Admissions Committee takes a holistic approach to reviewing applications, looking at all aspects of an application: official transcripts, GPA, Pre-requisite GPA, test score(s), letters of recommendation, patient care experience, supplemental questions, and resume.

Overview of Admitted Students:

Degrees completed by accepted students include a variety of disciplines such as biology, psychology, history, neuroscience, economics, anthropology, nuclear medicine, biochemistry, and international affairs. The following is a profile of our most recently admitted classes.

Class of 2024

Class of 2025

Mean GPA = 3.71

Mean Prerequisite GPA = 3.68

Mean Science GPA = 3.68

Mean Patient Care hours = 3103 hours

Mean GPA = 3.71

Mean Science GPA = 3.71

Mean Patient Care hours = 3193

*Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, GRE and MCAT scores have been optional and thus are not reported as a statistic.

Academics

• A GPA of 3.0 is required for the science GPA and prerequisite GPA.
  • In addition to grade outcomes, the admissions committee considers the rigor, breadth, and depth of courses.
    • Introductory, nursing, and science courses for non-science majors decrease the overall competitiveness of an application. It is strongly advised to take science courses which are intended for science majors, when possible.
  • Advanced Placement courses will not satisfy prerequisite courses. Applicants would need to repeat the course or take another higher-level course in the specific areas of study to determine college level abilities.
  • Although online courses are accepted, Tufts prefers courses taken in a face-to-face classroom setting.
  • All candidates must have all prerequisites completed before submitting their application.
  • All courses must have been completed within 10 years of applying to the program.
  • Courses in exercise physiology, nutrition, pharmacology, or kinesiology are considered (and add strength to an application) but are not substitutes for the prerequisites.

References

• References should come from individuals who have observed and/or supervised candidates in their clinical and academic pursuits.
  • References from shadowing experiences will not be accepted as one of the three required recommendations.
  • Medical professionals who are family friends but have not observed a candidate in a clinical setting are not considered strong references.

Direct Patient Care Experience

The Admissions Committee looks for experience which allows candidates to mature, determine whether health care is the right career path, and gain “hands-on” exposure to the types of duties and functions that a health care professional provides. At least a portion of the recommended minimum of 1,000 hours must have been completed within the last five years.

Examples of strong experiences:

• Nurse
  • Physical therapist
  • Dental hygienist
  • Respiratory therapist
  • Clinical dietician
  • EMT, paramedic
  • Patient care assistant
  • Researcher performing direct patient care
  • Athletic trainer working with injuries/rehab
  • Exercise physiologist in a clinical setting (i.e. cardiac rehab)
  • Certified nursing assistant
  • Medical Assistant conducting clinical tasks
  • Other experiences that require taking vitals, evaluating/triaging patients, bed side care, drawing blood, obtaining EKGs, wound care, casting/splinting, etc.

The following, while valuable experiences, do not usually meet the requirements for direct patient care experience due to the tasks being more custodial/administrative and not “hands-on clinical.” Applicants should still list this type of experience in CASPA, under the Healthcare Experience tab.

Please note, this list is not exhaustive:

• Personal training
  • Patient navigators
  • Chiropractic assistant
  • Pharmacy technician/clerk
  • Clinical office assistant
  • Medical scribe
  • Counseling
  • Observational positions
  • Non-clinical positions (housekeeping, transport, etc.)
  • PA Shadowing
  • Training/internship/rotation hours

Supplemental Questions on CASPA Application

The supplemental questions provide the opportunity to address circumstances surrounding GPA, expand on direct patient care experience, and demonstrate potential for success in a PA program.

Interview

Interviewers look for applicants who are intimately acquainted with the PA profession and the demands of its education as well as its responsibilities and role within the medical field. They also look for individuals who are mature and confident in why they want to become a physician assistant. The ability to communicate thoughts clearly and succinctly is vital. You may consider opportunities to practice your interview skills. Many universities offer mock interviews and other training sessions to their students and alumni. Please try contacting the alumni services or career services at your alma mater to see what resources may be available.

We wish you the best of luck in your future academic endeavors. Please keep in mind that admission requirements can change from year to year. If you apply in the future, please refer to the website for updates.

20 hours ago, futureobgynpa13 said:

Correct, this is what it said:

Thank you for applying to the Physician Assistant Program at Tufts University. At this time, our admissions cycle is complete. This was another highly competitive application cycle and unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview this cycle.

We created the following to assist you with questions regarding this decision. The data below is for informational purposes only, as we are unable to provide individualized feedback on applications.

Getting into a Physician Assistant program is a competitive process, and we hope that this will provide insight into our current admission requirements. The Tufts PA Admissions Committee takes a holistic approach to reviewing applications, looking at all aspects of an application: official transcripts, GPA, Pre-requisite GPA, test score(s), letters of recommendation, patient care experience, supplemental questions, and resume.

Overview of Admitted Students:

Degrees completed by accepted students include a variety of disciplines such as biology, psychology, history, neuroscience, economics, anthropology, nuclear medicine, biochemistry, and international affairs. The following is a profile of our most recently admitted classes.

Class of 2024

Class of 2025

Mean GPA = 3.71

Mean Science GPA = 3.68

Mean Patient Care hours = 3103 hours

Mean GPA = 3.71

Mean Science GPA = 3.71

Mean Patient Care hours = 3193

*Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, GRE and MCAT scores have been optional and thus are not reported as a statistic.

Academics

• A GPA of 3.0 is required for the science GPA and prerequisite GPA.
  • In addition to grade outcomes, the admissions committee considers the rigor, breadth, and depth of courses.
    • Introductory, nursing, and science courses for non-science majors decrease the overall competitiveness of an application. It is strongly advised to take science courses which are intended for science majors, when possible.
  • Advanced Placement courses will not satisfy prerequisite courses. Applicants would need to repeat the course or take another higher-level course in the specific areas of study to determine college level abilities.
  • Although online courses are accepted, Tufts prefers courses taken in a face-to-face classroom setting.
  • All candidates must have all prerequisites completed before submitting their application.
  • All courses must have been completed within 10 years of applying to the program.
  • Courses in exercise physiology, nutrition, pharmacology, or kinesiology are considered (and add strength to an application) but are not substitutes for the prerequisites.

References

• References should come from individuals who have observed and/or supervised candidates in their clinical and academic pursuits.
  • References from shadowing experiences will not be accepted as one of the three required recommendations.
  • Medical professionals who are family friends but have not observed a candidate in a clinical setting are not considered strong references.

Direct Patient Care Experience

The Admissions Committee looks for experience which allows candidates to mature, determine whether health care is the right career path, and gain “hands-on” exposure to the types of duties and functions that a health care professional provides. At least a portion of the recommended minimum of 1,000 hours must have been completed within the last five years.

Examples of strong experiences:

• Nurse
  • Physical therapist
  • Dental hygienist
  • Respiratory therapist
  • Clinical dietician
  • EMT, paramedic
  • Patient care assistant
  • Researcher performing direct patient care
  • Athletic trainer working with injuries/rehab
  • Exercise physiologist in a clinical setting (i.e. cardiac rehab)
  • Certified nursing assistant
  • Medical Assistant conducting clinical tasks
  • Other experiences that require taking vitals, evaluating/triaging patients, bed side care, drawing blood, obtaining EKGs, wound care, casting/splinting, etc.

The following, while valuable experiences, do not usually meet the requirements for direct patient care experience due to the tasks being more custodial/administrative and not “hands-on clinical.” Applicants should still list this type of experience in CASPA, under the Healthcare Experience tab.

Please note, this list is not exhaustive:

• Personal training
  • Patient navigators
  • Chiropractic assistant
  • Pharmacy technician/clerk
  • Clinical office assistant
  • Medical scribe
  • Counseling
  • Observational positions
  • Non-clinical positions (housekeeping, transport, etc.)
  • PA Shadowing
  • Training/internship/rotation hours

Supplemental Questions on CASPA Application

The supplemental questions provide the opportunity to address circumstances surrounding GPA, expand on direct patient care experience, and demonstrate potential for success in a PA program.

Interview

Interviewers look for applicants who are intimately acquainted with the PA profession and the demands of its education as well as its responsibilities and role within the medical field. They also look for individuals who are mature and confident in why they want to become a physician assistant. The ability to communicate thoughts clearly and succinctly is vital. You may consider opportunities to practice your interview skills. Many universities offer mock interviews and other training sessions to their students and alumni. Please try contacting the alumni services or career services at your alma mater to see what resources may be available.

We wish you the best of luck in your future academic endeavors. Please keep in mind that admission requirements can change from year to year. If you apply in the future, please refer to the website for updates.

i’m confused i got an email from them on 5/25 saying they have all my applications docs and i haven’t heard anything since not even the rejection email. when did y’all get the email? 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, kcc56 said:

i’m confused i got an email from them on 5/25 saying they have all my applications docs and i haven’t heard anything since not even the rejection email. when did y’all get the email? 

Same here. Verified beginning of June, no interview, but no rejection yet either. Sorry to those who got a rejection email, keep your head up! All it takes is one, which I keep telling myself as well 😅

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, pasg1019 said:

Same here. Verified beginning of June, no interview, but no rejection yet either. Sorry to those who got a rejection email, keep your head up! All it takes is one, which I keep telling myself as well 😅

Maybe they have one more interview day and they will send out invites to the people who didn’t receive a rejection email