UTSW 2023-2024 Application Cycle

2 hours ago, Cim5069 said:

Hey y’all! I received an invite for 9/30! I am a first time applicant. CASPA was verified 6/19 and the residency questionnaire was submitted 6/20. Good luck to everyone else and looking forward to seeing some of y’all there 🙂 

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats & if you're in/out of state? 🙏

2 hours ago, lovePAxox said:

Same, and I consider myself a highly competitive applicant. Perhaps because I am not an in-state applicant in regards of the holistic process. Welp, the right school will come for us. 

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out with them. Do u mind sharing your stats? I'm curious of what the school is looking for, they seem to reject seemingly good applicants for some reason.

4 hours ago, ColdPillow said:

(sorry for the spam, I wanted to make sure to reply directly to each of u so it'll send the notification) but sorry to hear of the rejection, do you mind sharing ur stats and if u were in/out of state?

I'm an out-of-state applicant. My GPA is rather low but I have high PCE + HCE hours. Some volunteer and shadow hours into the mix. Best of luck to you.

I recall attending an in-person information session at UTSW, where the faculty mentioned that due to state regulations, they have a limit on the number of out-of-state students they can admit to the program, I believe they are state-funded. She mentioned in some application cycles, they may have already reached that limit. Which could explain why some applicants receive prompt denials, even if they meet the criteria.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2023 at 4:17 PM, ColdPillow said:

Did they reject you guys without an interview? I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out with them. Do you mind sharing if u were in/out of state and share your stats? Just so we can kinda get a feel for what the school is looking for? 

No interview. I am in state. 3.66 overall, 3.69 science. 900 PCE at the time of application. 3700 HCE. Some shadowing, leadership, etc. womp womp 

On 9/15/2023 at 2:25 PM, ColdPillow said:

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out with them. Do u mind sharing your stats? I'm curious of what the school is looking for, they seem to reject seemingly good applicants for some reason.

You're all good. I definitely think that it is because I'm out of state. Also could be that most of my PCE is scribing and not that "hands-on" stuff. 

3.78 GPA in biology. ER Scribe for 5-6 years and GI scribe for 1 year which accumulated ~15k hours. I also briefly rotated in derm and nephrology. 

I was a health coach (got my own patients and lesson plans) for volunteer work for 1k hours, but I also volunteered through a church. 

I was a research assistant in my micro lab for 1.5 years and harped on my contributions to discovering a new species that I'm characterizing.

I recently became an EMT in April and have stated I'm eager for more experience.

I was a front desk receptionist for my friend's IV hydration and IM shots business, but I did some "MA" type work there too. Such as taking vitals and preparing the shots.

I mentioned a lot of other things, such as working in retail, and other hobbies that I like to do to sound more well rounded it's just not mentioned above 🙂 Goodluck all!

Edited by lovePAxox
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, ColdPillow said:

Wow congratulations! 😁 Would you be willing to share your stats with us?

Exercise science major with a 3.98 GPA. I had 2000+ hours as a ER scribe and about 300 as a CNA. I volunteered in a lab at my university researching movement and physical activity epidemiology. I also did a 180 hour internship doing cardiac stress testing. I am an in state applicant too if that helps!

• Like 2